A/C Suggestions

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

Some superfluous info to interject...

I have a Cruisair 16K unit. For giggles and grins, Ken Juul brought over his Honda 2000 to see if it was up to the task of running a 16K unit on the hook. The myth is confirmed...Honda 2000 will indeed run a 16K Cruisair unit...

I intended to report this earlier...thanks for the memory jog!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve McGill

Folks,

I to am installing A/C under the forward starboard settee. I was hoping to use the saltwater galley sink thru hull located just forward and starboard of the sink. I would like to change out the tailpiece of the Marlon Seacock. It appears to be original from the factory.
I am trying to determine the adhesive or sealant used on the seacock and tailpiece and the success in removing the tailpiece.
Does anyone have any success in removing this?

Thanks,

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
Why can't you connect to the existing fitting?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Steve McGill

I can and I may, the suggested line size is 3/4" and the existing tailpiece is 1/2" or 5/8"

Ken Juul

I think the tail pieces are just screwed into the valve assembly.  Should not be any adhesive, may have some teflon tape or plumbers dope.   Should be simple enough to just hold the valve and unscrew with some channel locks.

I'm not sure I would use the sink drain.  Not sure how the pump and A/C will react to gray water from the sink and I'm not sure the pump will hold a prime with the open vent provided by the sink lines.

My A/C is in the same location, it's thru hull is located in the bottom of the Vee Berth hanging locker.  Only disadvantage with this location is I need to close it before sailing to ensure I don't get an air lock in the strainer from heeling.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve McGill

Ken,

Thanks for your opinion, I hope its right are far as pipe dope or tape.
The thru hull I'm hoping to use is for the salt water foot pump  for the galley sink. being in the Chesapeake I do not plan to rinse or wash anything in the galley sink with bay water.

Steve

Ralph Masters

The foot pump I have is to pump out the water from the ice box.  No seawater service to the sink. 

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

My boat had 2 foot pumps. One inside the door by the floor on the right side of the sink for pumping out the ice box. The other one was just to the left of it and the foot pump pedal stuck out through the cabinet and was for for the salt water faucet. It also had its own seacock and I think that is the one Steve is talking about.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Steve McGill

Mike,

Thanks, you are exactly right, attached is a picture from Yachtworld that shows the output
of this pump between the two sinks.

Steve

Ralph Masters

Now I know what that little stainless steel plug/cap is ment for on the sink divider.  Of course in San Diego bay I don't think I'd use it.  God only knows what would come out of that faucet.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

horsemel

Lance, I agree you will not be happy with the 12,000 btu.  We installed a 16000 btu Mermaid last fall and with this hot summer are sure glad we did.  Unit is under vberth with one hose that splits between the vberfth and salon on the starboard side.  We had a fan installed on the wall between the aft berth and the stairs.  This exhausts air into the salon and brings cool air into the aft berth.  Works well.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Michael Shaner

Mark...the hard work is done, with your setup, it is easy to chase one more duct line down the port side to the aft cabin!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

I do not have the seawater pump for the sink, and missed it in your first post.  Using it is an excellent idea.  No sense putting extra hole in the hull. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

Been a while since I have been on the board but anyway, I have old Mermaid 16,000 dual cycle (1993 I think) located under v-berth.  I rerouted the intake lines from PO that was using inlets under galley.

I am using the unused waste outlet (we are inland water only) on port side, placed Mermaid water pump under settee right at inlet but actually ran the raw water line from seacock to bilge where I placed the sea strainer and then back to the mermaid pump and then up to v-berth.  Placing the strainer in the bilge make for easy checking and easy cleaning.  I also rerouted my water cooled reffer raw water filter to same location in bilge.  I usually just open filters and and use the rushing raw water to help clean the screens, etc.  This also gives the bilge pump a little workout while I am on site.

Condensation is handled by an old Home Depot home A/C condensation trap and pump.  I have the output for this routed into the chain locker, not in the bilge.  The PO installed this pump back in 93 and it still works just fine, never any spillage inside the boat.  Output for Mermaid is port side above water line under v-berth.  Condensation line was not routed to this output due to backflow pressure from mermaid would flood the condensation trap.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA