A/C Suggestions

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I'm getting ready to bite the big one and install A/C on Kitty's Cat. I've read the posts concerning this and have a question that doesn't seem to crop up without explanation.

For those that have installed it either by themselves or had it installed, which areas on the boat did you put vents? I'm getting a 12,000 BTU and am looking at options....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I don't think 12K will keep up with the GA heat.  If you are going to bite the bullet, get a 16K.  My 12 really has to struggle until I kick on the 6K unit (I have a dual A/C system).  If you are going with the 12K to stay in budget, take a look at: http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/scunits.php  I have been very happy with my units.

I would suggest you put the unit under the forward salon settee.  One duct forward through the hanging locker exhausting in the Vee Berth.  Large duct running aft under the seat.  First outlet mid cabin, vertical duct up behind sliding doors, exhaust vent in shelf area above.  Large duct continues aft, splits under galley sink. One duct crossed above water heater to vent just pointing head door.  I don't have the last bit so not quite sure how to route it.  I think there is room to squeeze it between the ice box and the counter frame, under or behind the stove into the area under the aft cabin settee, then up to an outlet for the aft cabin.  Another option might be to put the outlet between the  undersink drawer and the galley drawer stack pointing at the aft cabin.  Use a fan to help push the air back.

Will try to get pictures for you this weekend.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

Laying here in the vberth in the Abacos cool as can be.  16,000 BTU .  Unit mounted in the forward starboard side settee. Vent in vberth next to my head on starboard side.  Main large vent in salon above the unit and Also an aft cabin vent.   73 degrees in here after a very hot day
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Terry Forshier

My 16500 btu Flagship Ac would not keep up here in Florida in the summer with 90+ temps and high humidity. I finally redirected the ductwork to blow 2 lines into the main cabin and shut off the aft cabin in order to get a comfortable temp during the day. I also put up sunshade over the forward v birth area. If you are getting a new Ac I recommend the Dometic turbo 16000 btu unit. People who have them say they are great. they also make a "soft Start" add on that will let you run it with your Honda 2000 generator. (my flagship will do that too as it is a rotary compressor) I was ready to put on this new turbo unit but when I had the tech come out for a quote he tweeked my Flagship Ac by putting in a little more "freon" or whatever and then adjusting the temp system. I am now, with the new set up, much better and saved the cost of a new install. I will see over the summer how it does.
For what its worth mine is mounted in the cabinet forward of the chart table. Lines go to the head, main cabin (2 now) to the aft cabin and one to the v birth. (4 discharge lines now split into 5 with manual shut off's in the head and the aft cabin) 

Lance Jones

Thanks all.

Requests to the Admiral to up the kitty for Kitty's A/C on Kitty's Cat in order to get the 16000btu.

That being said, where did you put the outlet for the discharge water and also the condensate?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Terry Forshier

I discharge out the hull where I have the unit. the condensate is sucked out there too using a meremaid system that is an add on. So no bilge water.

Lance Jones

So far, I'm leaning towards Ken and Mermaid. Did you T into the through hull for the manual water pump under the sink or did you add another one. Also, did you run the discharge out above the waterline there or else where? Just wanting all info before leaping......

Terry, good info; but, pricing is knocking out yours but, good information that is also applicable.

BTW Joe -- hating you!!!!  :lol: Have fun!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

sailaway

Lance I  mounted mine under the vee berth. And used the useless drawer hole as a cold air return. Ran 6 in duct into the forward hanging locker and tee off. One went up to the vee berth one went on to the main saloon.  I only have 12K in Ohio works good at night. Just OK in the daytime. If you go to 16K you will problay have to put on an extra shore power cord.  Charlie

Lance Jones

Charlie,
Thanks, I was already thinking of adding a second shore power outlet and panel that would also allow me a couple additional 110 power outlets.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Kern

I second the Mermaid condensate thing.   Also my ac was added with a new thru hull above the water line on the starboard side in the berth hanging locker.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

Correction: Ken suggested the Ocean Breeze.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

Late last winter I decided on and bought an Ocean Breeze.  The 16k with heat.    I don't have my notes with me, so I don't remember the name of their sailboat expert, but if you call I'm sure that they will direct you to him.  He was real helpful, set me up with sort of a custom kit, and offered all the on phone help that I would need to install. Ask him about the Mermaid condenser drain.  Looks like the only additional things will be the 120v supply line and breaker, some carpentry work at the supply vents, and a different intake grill.  Due to illness haven't installed it yet.  The unit looks real good.  Will fit well under the vberth (leaving the drawer) and it looks possible to run all the supply vent lines all over the boat. 
I hope to be able to get to it soon, I'd rather sail but my next favorite activity is boat work.  Please keep us informed on the detail of your project, you may save me some work or have a better idea.  I plan to do the same.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Terry Forshier

I have researched AC's to death over the last year. I believe you will find Ocean Breeze and Flagship are made by the same manufacturer over in the Lauderdale area. Flagship, which is what I have, also sells new and used on EBAY and you might get a good deal there. I know i have had my doubts with this unit but it is 10 years old and the rep there told me that they have enlarged their cooling unit on their newer models. I am still using it and it is working pretty well for here. I have looked at King Air, Mermaid, (made here in SW Florida) Ocean Breeze, wobasto (a newer sysytem to our area but big in the North West area), and marvair and Dometic. Of all these the most expensive but the best I rated was the Dometic. (selling under cruiseair and marine air) I wanted something that would run on my portable generator at anchor. Here it is really hot in the summer and you need to get the humidity and heat out of the cabin to get a good sleep. Most of these do not run and start up on the Honda 2000. . Also look for a rotary compressor as this newer technology is an easier start up and more efficient. You get what you pay for. (A Bentley will give you a better ride than a Chevy.) Your demands in Georgia are not going to be as severe as those here so you may be more than pleased with the lower priced units.

Steve McGill

Folks,

I am also starting to install my AC unit. I have chosen to mount it in the forward salon settee against the vbirth bulkhead.
The shelf for the unit has been glassed in and 4.25" holes for the vbirth and main cablin bulkhead have been drilled.
I would also like to add a mid ship vent on the starboard side, a vertical duct up behind the sliding doors. I have seen ythis location
mentioned, but cannot determine either how to route the duct work there or cut the required 4.25" holes.

Any suggestions or insite would be appreciated.

Additionally since I do not use the saltwater galley footpump thru hull my plan is to use this for ythe AC unit.

thanks,

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Paul Bruner

Fraternize is set for professional A/C install this weekend.  I've also opted for a duel system, 9K + 5.2K BTU R/C Mermaid units, independent water pumps, on independent 30A services.  Installation includes a second 30A service.  I'm paying $5,100 (I like to include $PRICES$ for honest and complete discussions, unlike all you doctors and Congressmen :wink:, I'm on a budget!!) Here's the link for Mermaid: http://www.mmair.com/marine_division

I'm meeting the installer on the boat for the first time Friday.  Having done a number of Catalina 34 Is & IIs...his vision is to put the 9K on the newly installed 30A service, under the V-berth ducted thru the starboard hanging locker to the main cabin, thus servicing the V-berth and the main cabin.  I have my doubts given the water tank/speed sensor/depth sensor already there so we'll see how that plays out.  The 5.2K unit would be wired to the OEM "house" 30A service and located in the rear port hanging locker ducted to the nav desk, head, and aft cabin.  Below water line THs x 2, above water line THs x 2 for discharge water.  For the time being condensation will flow to bilge from the 9K unit and shower sump from the 5.2K unit.  If this proves to be a large amount of water we'll tie the condensation to the discharge lines.

We've opted for less BTUs than the Jones' in the name of power consumption.  My goal is simple - knock down humidity while on the hook using a Honda 2000 genset, cabin temperature is an afterthought.  The wife and I like the house at 78, that's hot for most families, but hey, who needs clothes on a boat??

Fraternize's baptism to salt water is in October, temps will still be in the high 80s with respectable humidity, I'll follow up with a review of the Mermaid system.  Cheers!!
"The future is no place to place your better days"
-Dave Matthews