Hour meter

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I like that logic!  But I've spent too many boat bucks this year to needlessly wreck a working tach and have too many guest drivers to not have one.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

Some additional info.  I tried to slice the hour meter into the fuel pump circuit as the installation instructions showed.  With the meter in series the meter would work, but the pump would not.  I guess I could have put it in with a parallel connection, but instead found an ignition "on" hot lead on the terminal block for the instrument panel and took the power from there.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Indian Falls

Ken your hour meter is not meant to and probably cannot pass the current needed to drive the fuel pump motor.  That's why it wont work in series.  Hour meters need only 12 volts and you can connect to the plus wire of your pump but the hour meter ground should go to ground alone not to the input of another device.
The minus connection on your pump is ground, so if you put the hour meter "across" the fuel pump connections you will have a fuel pump hours meter as the meter will only run if there is power to the pump.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ralph Masters

And you only run the fuel pump if you run the engine so it'll be an engine hour meter.  Just be sure to make note in your maintenance log of the hours that were on the old hour meter so the next owner, if there ever is one, knows the hours total on the engine.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987