Wheel Replacement/Auto Pilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

C34 Mk II, # 1472, has a the original Edson Wheel with a Raymarine 4000 Wheel Pilot. Works fine. I acquired a brand new leather covered wheel. New wheel is correct 40" dia. and shaft size, etc. However, the new wheel has 5 spokes (6 on the old one) , the new spokes are tapered (thicker at the hub-thinner at the rim) and the wheel has a slight dish to it (the hub is further forward - the old wheel is flat). You can't retro fit the 4000 to the new wheel because of the taper and the "dish". Raymarine has discontinued the 4000 and parts. I'll go for a new X5 wheel drive, but when I called Raymarine they were more than hesitiant about telling me it would fit a wheel with a "dish" and suggested "some custom fit" work.  Anyone got a 5 spoke Edson with a dish and an X5 pilot? If so how dfoes it fit and what do I order from Raymarine. Thx all.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

tonywright

As far as I can tell the wheel attachment and drive motor in the X5 kit are pretty much identical to the 4000. When I replaced the 4000 control head I did not swap out the wheel mount, but kept the new unit as a spare.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada