Props and transmissions

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

Figured out today that the strange whistling sound on the boat was in fact the transmission/shaft  turning.  I swear I tried shifting it into reverse before and it had no effect... maybe it didn't engage or something.

my tranny is still making all kinds of noises... when under sail in neutral and occasionally in gear when under power.  Going to try the fill/drain/refill trick and hope I don't end up having to pull it.

Raced the boat today and got lots of flak for having a 3-bladed prop on the boat.  Was trying to read up on folding/feathering props... but it just seems like you can't win no matter what.  Motoring performance vs sail performance vs cost ($1300 yikes!) vs increased wear on the cutlass bearing... probably better to just be a cruiser and not a racer.  Our prop is a 15RH12, which is too much for the boat, but not sure if it's worth it to take it off and have some pitch removed vs. go to a 2 blade and motor performance and add vibration... too many choices but no clear winner.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

John Langford

I have a Flex-o-fold three blade prop which is a wonderful and simple piece of gear which I highly recommend. But even with the Association discount they are around $1600.

Alternatively, there are probably C34 ownres who would be prepared to part with a more appropriately pitched (15x9/15x10) three or two blade prop for a nominal sum. If you ask you may get a positive response.

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

No : A number of us have pitched their props to 11 inches for a 15 " diameter SAILOR 3 bladed prop with an M25XP engine.

The first thing that I'd check is to make sure that you have a Sailor style 3 bladed prop and not something like a Michigan Wheel with wide blades.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: noworries on June 12, 2011, 08:10:31 PM

Raced the boat today and got lots of flak for having a 3-bladed prop on the boat.  Was trying to read up on folding/feathering props... but it just seems like you can't win no matter what.  Motoring performance vs sail performance vs cost ($1300 yikes!) vs increased wear on the cutlass bearing... probably better to just be a cruiser and not a racer.  Our prop is a 15RH12...

nw --- Ach, ya shouldna get any flak, I've been dragging our old bucket (15RH10) around for 13+ years and we get a reasonable handicap here in our local Fleet 1 races.  I did pretty well once or twice in many, many tries.   Race some, I found it teaches ya to learn how to cruise with good sail trim.   :D :D :D :D

Good luck with your transmission.  I'm sure there's some stuff in the wiki about it. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

I pumped out the old fluid, which was pretty nasty (very dark).  I had the wrong kind of pump (used a siphon but couldn't get the bottle lower then the tranny) so I had to fill the tube, then drain it.  What a PITA.  I bought new fluid but it had additives in it, and since the manual said "don't use oils with this additive or it's derivatives) I decided to not use the high mileage stuff I bought (that had unlisted additives) and used the oil that was on the boat.

Crossing my fingers now.  I've got my eyes on a kiwi prop, once I scrape the $$$ together.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Noworries,
I hope when you say oil, you mean Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF or Dexron).
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : I hope we are talking Dexron ATF only (for a Hurth Xmission) !!
Ron, Apache #788

noworries

Yeah I used the right oil/fluid... sheesh!