wi fi range extender

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

We just got back from a 2 week sail around in Pine island sound/Ft Myers, Gasperilla area. Our plan was to spend a night at anchor then one at a marina and off and on so forth for the time out. Well, southerly breezes and a few thunder bumpers in the evening and work related issues involving the need for on line communication caused us to spend most of the time at marinas with shore power and modern facilities. Every Marina tells us they have wi fi but when we get there and checked in we end up taking our iphones up to the center of the marina to get connected. I know several people who have these extenders on their boats that enable them to reach out several hundred yards or more and capture signals and log on. Does anyone have experience with this and if so please inform me of what to get and how to install. Thanks, Terry

Craig Illman

I found antennas, cabling and higher power adapters at http://www.jefatech.com.  WiFi was really only nominally designed for 300 foot ranges. I used to be 700 feet from the marina building with power boats and covered slips in between. With a higher power USB adapter and an external antenna, I could pickup a signal a half mile away.

I'm sure there are other suppliers as well.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."