DOCKING 101 -- Mid Ship Cleat and Aft Spring

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Kevin, your post couldn't have came at a better time, we have a new slip and after reading your post, I ran right out and made 3 of them with dock line I had laying around, 1/2" and 3/8" and clear tubing I had, heck a garden hose would work, I made mine a little bigger with 5' of tubing, as my cleats are pretty big,  we came in slick as could be,  she laid the loop over the cleat and leaving it in gear I gently nudged the dock, I had to use a lot of rudder as the bow did try to impact the dock more than I wanted but no more jumping off the boat for us.  I had Jack Klanges DVD on docking, although good, he never mentioned the looped line like you did,  Thanks from us   Bob and Eileen
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

rmbrown

I docked for the first time with a new boat in a new slip at close to midnight in a river that happened to be in flood stage with both wind and current across my slip setting me towards my neighbor boat in my well.  We were ready with the mid-ship spring but I just couldn't get the boat lined up right with any confidence of being close enough to the cleat to hook it.

I chickened out (or maybe acted with prudence?) and took the slip on the upwind and upcurrent side of a finger pier and tied up without incident.

The next morning, I moved over to my slip with many hands (all of which were required!) to get me secured before meeting my new neighbor the hard way.

On of the first things I did was to put that midship spring in place and see whether this whole "physics" thing worked.  Lo and behold... even with the worst current running in recent memory and a right fair breeze both working against me, I could hold that boat right where she needed to be.

So now I trust it, and know how to use it... now just have to master getting close enough to the dock to get that loop on the cleat, while being set sideways away from said dock by the current, without hitting it!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

The length of your runway can be a big deal breaker. If you don't have enough time, or hands to lasso or hook the dock cleat, or to pick up a spring line already measured and cleated to the dock....then all bets are off. Then try plan "B", the hot stick landing with engine burst(s) in reverse.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmbrown on May 09, 2017, 03:58:32 PM
acted with prudence

DEFO,  I wish that we all had a Plan B available when it's prudent to use it.  Kudos

The GREAT thing about having a midship line, is to throw when approaching an unknown dock and you're unsure whether the hands there are going to "help" or "hinder."
They can't screw you up and dive your bow or the stern quarter into the dock, or end up turning you sideways.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Congratulations Ralph,
One of the great things about sailing, there is always something else to learn.
Happy docking,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kevin Henderson

It's been awhile since I first posted this topic.  I'm glad to see it still relevant and helpful.  :D  My current home slip is now an upwind slip and an arrangement that does not allow me to use the spring line arrangement as much as I did.  However... My line is always made up and at the ready in the port locker just in case!  :thumb: 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

anon

The boat I owned for just 2 months prior to my 34 had a midships cleat and I had spring lines. I suggested adding a folding cleat (or two) to the current boat.
I am not happy dangling fenders from the lifelines and figured deck cleats would be a better idea.
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Sophie, the 101 Topics has a few singlehanding topics, one of which was not linked in Kevin's great story that started this topic, but that's where it started.  Easy to find.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."