Mast wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I was interested in changing the coaxial cable run to my VHF antenna at the masthead but I realize that I don't know how that run is structured. Did Catalina provide connectors for the coax, mast lights, etc. above the deck at the base of the mast so that the mast can be removed?

Note: I have a 1999 MkII with a deck stepped mast.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

tonywright

Yes

All of the connectors are inside the mast. They rise a few inches out of the mast step, so when you lift the mast, you must suspend it for a while while you disconnect/reconnect everything. Use a thick block of wood as a safety device between the mast and mast step to protect fingers while doing this.

The exception is the radar (if you have one). That is connected somewhere inside the boat. Found mine next to the macerator. 

The poorest connectors are the ones for the wind instrument. A small black box with a terminal strip inside. I replaced this with a mil spec connection: more secure and much quicker to connect/disconnect when stepping, unstepping the mast.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

ken003

Here is what I have.  The white coax for vhf.  The five pin connector on the right for the wind replaces the black box like Tony mentioned, and the lights are the four pin on the left.

Ken

John Langford

Thanks Ken and Tony. That is very helpful. The picture makes it absolutely clear.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S