Bilge water tasting

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Great information David.  I had no idea that a maintenance kit was recommended for those things. 

Thanks,

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : You can change your packing while the boat is in the water.  You guessed it - I published a Mainsheet article with that title. 
Just get everything ready before hand ie. cut the 3 rings (45 degree angle) have a sharpened bent coat hanger to get the old packing out and do it!!   I've changed mine twice in the water with no problem - you won't even come close to flooding the boat.  Just follow the instructions - it's easy.

I wouldn't worry about scoring of the shaft in the packing gland as it's unusual.  Most scoring of the shaft occurs inside the cutless bearing. 

I'm NOT a fan of the PSS or billows as if the billows get ruptured (for what ever the reason) you better find a travel lift fast.  Where as with a packing gland nut you could even cut pieces of shoe string (if necessary) and stuff it in there until you could get it looked at. 
My neighbor slip mate almost lost his boat last year when his bellows ruptured.

A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

David Comando

Not ever having dealt with a packing gland am am not qualified to comment on it. But my PYI PSS has worked effectively for the 7+ seasons used in Northeastern conditions. As long as it is "burped" after launching, and "burped" if air was introduced under the boat, ie. bottom cleaned by a scuba diver (me).
When the mechanic replaced the bellows and o-rings that came with the rebuilding kit, ($75 from PYI), the replaced bellows showed little if any wear, it was supple and flexible, (unlike myself!) The newer PSS model has a fitting where "burping" is not necessary. A fellow C34 owner in my marina had a problem with this particular unit as the shipyard incorrectly connected a hose from the fitting to the bilge and water was introduced into the bilge at an alarming rate. I look forward to another 7+ years of minimal "burping" to keep salt water out of the bilge. One less thing to worry about.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ralph Masters

Thanks for the note Ron.  I have not had to change the packing yet, I back off the lock nut, twist the gland nut about an 1/8 inch by hand and reset the lock nut.  I figure as long as I can adjust it that easily there is no need to repack.  I have looked into repacking with the Gore stuff.  The hardest part of adjusting the packing is getting to it.  Moving the micro wave that's stored back there, the coffee maker, the three tupper ware storage boxes of clothing, moving the mattress, and the cockpit cusions and then putting it all back after a 5 minute job.  As you are well aware of, there is no such thing as a 5 minute job.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

David,
When you replace the bellows and o-rings do you have to have the boat out of the water???  And disconnect the prop shaft and pull it back just a bit??

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

tonywright

I had the same done after 5 years (recommended interval) and the answer to both questions is yes (Boat out of the water, and need to disconnect and pull back the shaft). And I took the opportunity to add the vent line (the replacement carbon fitting with the vent was supplied at no charge by PYI, because without it the bellows needed to be burped regularly). 

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ralph Masters

Thanks Tony, great answer.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987