Head to Holding Tank Hose Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggie Hall

Step 1: There's NO reason to take apart hoses that are full of waste!  Flush GALLONS of water laced with white vinegar through the system...the toilet and the tank...thoroughly flush out the tank.

Step 2. Use a heat gun or a blow dryer to soften hose enough to remove it from fittings. If sealant was used, scrap the fittings...NEVER use sealant in sanitation hose connections!

Step 3 (needed if you have to thread hose through inaccessible places).  Using a male-male connector and some PVC cement, connect the new hose to the old hose...cut the ends as smoothly as possible...butt them together as tightly as possible. You want the smoothest unbroken surface possible. Do not use clamps--they can get caught. Do no use duct tape...it won't hold if you have to tug hard. Use PVC cement.  When you've gotten the old hose out and the new hose pulled through, cut it off behind the connector.

Step 4. Do NOT heat hose to make it bend tighter than it wants to bend willingly...instead, break the hose and insert an inline radius fitting.

Step 5: Warm the hose --being VERY careful not to overheat it (which is why I prefer a blow dryer to a heat gun) ...lube both the inside of the hose and the outside of the fitting with KY to get the hose onto the fitting.

Step 6.  Double clamp all hose connections, with screws 180 degrees apart...or at least 90 if access won't allow 180.

Step 7. Have a beer and admire your work.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

scotty

Can I just go to step 7?    :thumb:
Scotty

Indian Falls

I start at step 7 and repeat twice!  Maybe 3 for this job.

I like the idea of using a hose mender for pulling new hose with old hose.

A hair dryer will sufficiently heat the old hose to aid in removal in about 3 hours. 

In that case go back to step 7 about 3 times....   

If you can't use a heat gun to warm up new hose without overheating or burning it, maybe you should have the Yard do step 1-6 and just do step 7.    ;-)

PS
Peggy: Why Vinegar and not bleach/water 25/75%?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ralph Masters

Setp 7 seems to be very popular.  I think I'll go do step 7 this week end then work on the new opening port seals I have to install.  I'll worry about step 1 - 6 at a later point.  The PO put white 101 hose from the toilet through the bulkhead into the locker under the nav table, then black hose to the tank.  I really need to get that black hose out of there, but first, step 7.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Peggie Hall

Better make that Step 8...I forgot one:

Put a garbage bag or disposable aluminum pan under fittings to catch any drips before removing hoses.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Indian Falls

What's worse than being a foot short in your hose supply when replacing the 1-1/2" sanitary Line???

Being 6'' short!!

For some reason 10 feet should have been enough but was not.  I did not measure the length I received from Jamestown Distributors...   but blaming them would be too easy.

None the less.  Pulling and replacing the hose for the pump out and the head were quite easy. 
If you have the wire reinforced 101 hose try this:  I slit the rubber twice down to the wire along the length of the fitting about 1/4 inch apart and peeled that strip out exposing the wire reinforcement.
Then took side cutters and nipped the wire.  Grab the nipped wire with vice-grips and pull out the short section each time you nip the wire.  Once the reinforcement is gone the warm rubber falls off the fitting after a short heat up with the heat gun.  I did this at the deck plate and at the tank.  Best part is it comes off easy rather than pull with all your might... hose pops off and you get a face full of hose contents.

The few drips that came out when the old hose came off were minimal and a handful of paper towel did the trick nicely.  I'm assuming that all the stuff I could possibly find in the boat I put on the bow to tilt the tank contents away from the fittings worked in my favor.

I pumped out after loading my tank with 6 gallons of clean water and a pint of bleach.  Prior to pulling the hose off the bottom tank fittings I had the shop vac at the ready. 

I found the reason that my macerator blew the breaker each time it was inadvertently turned on:  It was dry from non use.  I don't believe it was ever used.  In order to find this out I had to pull it all apart  and then get new gaskets.  I'm too cheap to be a boater, I could not drop 53 bucks for a Jabsco refurb set when all I need are two paper gaskets, so I bought 1/64th gasket paper from Napa and made two on the laser at work.  (If anybody wants a set I'll just send them to you). 

I really prefer the look of the white pvc hose vs. the black 101 and the nylon braided vinyl.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?