34 verses 355

Previous topic - Next topic

togve

Just had a ride on the new 355. Very impressive standing rigging, very solid and stiff. More robust than the 34 and 36.Topside mounting chain plates won't leak. I was not in favor of in mast furling but this one works well and it has quite a large main sail. Sails like a Catalina very familiar to the 36 and 34.Points well in 18 Knot winds. Upscale interior looks very classy. The new toe rail is a nice feature and finally Catalina put in centre cleats , Yee-a. That's my impression of this new model. If your not going to build any more 36s and 34s then I think this is a good replacement.

wind dancer

Excellent, thanks for the update!  If I were in the market for a new boat, this would be my choice.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Ralph Masters

I had toyed with the idea of moving up to a 42, but after looking at the 355 specs on the Catalina website I really think if the oppertunity to buy a new boat comes around I'd go with the 355.  Check out the specs and the video on the website.  It's a new and improved 34, same wonderful features, aft head, full aft cabin they moved the jib winches aft so single handing is simpler, like when the wife is below fixing snacks and you need to tack or adjust sails.  And it's the same size so it's not over bearing like the 42 would be.

Ralph
Ciao Bella

Now just to hit the lottery....................
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

There are advantages and disadvantages to moving the jib sheet winches aft.  With a full crew, I find it becomes more of a hassle than a help.  And when I singlehand, I rarely, if ever, spend any time behind the wheel.  With the size of our boat, I can still operate the winches from beside the wheel.  I have found that the "balance point" of the boat is so much more comfortable closer to the companionway since it doesn't move as much as at the transom.  A much more comfortable ride, if you will.  Just a personal thing of mine, 'cuz I find so many folks become "slaves to being behind the wheel."  I completely agree about the superb layout, though. :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Langford

I loved the movement of the primary winches aft. I single hand a lot and the placement of the winches on the MkII is one of its few flaws. The other flaw in the MkII is the placement of the sink in the head which is fixed in the 355. But the sink! Above counter and looking like something Martha Stewart would recommend. What were they thinking?

Final note: Kate thinks there is much less usable storage in the 355. We could have picked one up at the boat show for $175,000 plus taxes but passed.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S