Lewmar hatch. How to change rubber

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

My c34 1997 has 7 small hatch from lewmar. I want to change some rubber who leak when my window is close. I bought a new rubber and itried to insert but he don't want to go in the small slot. Is there somebody can help me. Do i need a special tool for pushing in the good place. Is there a small triangle on the rubber for insert in the slot . My English is not perfect but surely you understand my problem. Thank you.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Ted Pounds

Are you talking about the gasket that goes around the edge of the port?  If so I've never changed that.  But I have experience with the little, hidden "O" rings that seal the latches.  I found a few of those leaking on my boat.  Could that be where your leak is coming from?
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ralph Masters

I just replaced all 6 of the 12 x 5 Lewmar port gaskets and the trick to those is to make sure you have the correct side facing the center of the opening.  They come with a good diagram to show how they go, you just have to look very closely to make sure they are correct.  Also I used a bead of sealent in the grove for the "arrow" that holds them in place and no leaks when I washed down sunday afternoon.  One more project off the "to do" list.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

andre

What do you mean about the correct side facing and what kind of sealeent you use and do you have a small roller to help to push the arrow in the grove

Ron Hill

Andre : Measure the lens side to side and top to bottom and call Defender. They have the best deal.

To install the new gaskets use a "windon screen tool" with a roller.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Exodus

I used a plastic putty knife to get my gasket to seat properly, but I imagine the window screen tool that Ron spoke of would work better.  You also want to put a very small amount of silicone in the groove before you seat the gasket.  VERY IMPORTANT  make sure you seat it dry the first time then remove and reseat with silicone otherwise you will have a sticky mess and a lot of cursing.

Ron Hill

Guys : If you spray some silicone on all of your rubber gaskets you'll breath life into them and will put off replacing them for YEARS!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Good advice Ron.  My new ones should last as long as I last.  The old ones went 23 years.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Lance Jones

The real key to this project is to get the channel, that the arrow snaps into, VERY clean. It took me a couple of tries before I got it right. I've also found that by spraying silicon onto your face each morning helps keep it soft, supple and wrinkle free... just a thought.  :think
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Geez Lance, I'll have to give that a try, it might help with the shaving too...... :thumb:

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

It's best to close your eyes while applying.  (don't ask me how I know this.)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

andre

Thank you everybody for your help. I will have the time for do that because we can't put the boat in the water because the nivel of the lake Champlain is to hight. There are inondation in the river Richelieu to go to the lake. Good saison for you. We hope to sail just in the middle of july