Rosacea

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

My wife has been diagnosed with rosacea. I am sure there are many others that might have Rosacea. Now the question is how do you deal with this on a sailboat ???  SUN  WIND HEAT  .... please any suggestions would help...

scotty

Sorry to hear about the rosacea, my brother-in-law has been dealing with it for a few years, and he really has is under control with medication.  I do not have rosacea, but I have had multiple basal cells surgeries, so perhaps my experience might help.  Sun screen both liberally and often.  I wear a wide brim (nylon, PHF rated) hat like a religion - look at my picture to the left!  I often time my exposure to the morning and later afternoon.  Schedule as much on the noon to two (PM) when I can be below or in the shade.  The dodger is my friend.  I can sail the boat from the dodger during the day.

Best of luck to you!!
Scotty

hump180

I second what scotty said. Bimini is a must...timing sun overhead when possible...and get a good hat from tilley.com, they are the best. Try to not let it ruin your time...just be consious of exposure. Sometimes that means staying in the shade or facing away from the sun. 
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ralph Masters

For my wife it's a large hat that gives good coverage and for those chilly days that seem to set it off as well a microfiber scarf, Columbia makes the one we bought.  And she uses a cream from a good dermotoligist as well.

Oh, and the dodger is a must as well.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

My wife has it as well and it's not the end of the world. She uses a perscription cleanser called Plexion and that seems to work for her. Use hats and sunblock as much as possible and try to keep in the shade when possible.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Heyman

I was diagnosed with a mild case 10 plus years ago. A drug called Finecia seemed to help a bit. Since then, I've seen a different dermatologist who claims that I never had Rosacea. So, I will continue to bask in the healthy redish glow and hope that it doesn't affect a Hollywood career. I have even adapted the old adage "red sails at night sailors delight------" to "red face at night----"

Covering up is a good idea, with or without Rosacea, albeit it seems that most of our sun damage risk occurred when we were teens and has been festering all these years.

Depending where this thread goes (which I think is the first of its kind on our board), I am prepared to divulge more medical secrets. In that my computer was recently hacked, my info is probably already available on line anyway.

Anyway, I hope that you get it under control and it doesn't cause too much concern.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il