Alternator high output issue?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

Just got back to the water and am seeing the Volt Meter (part of the wiring harness upgrade over the Winter) nearly pegging at 15 to 16 volts and drops very little even at idle rpm? I have checked all connections and appears nothing loose and wired correctly. Where would the likely place to start looking be?

On another note concerning the wiring harness upgrade, the Tan/Black wire is for the High Temp Alarm and is suppose to run from the panel to the high temp switch on the block? My ignorance is showing but where will I find the high temp switch on the block?

Thanks kindly, Kirk
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

What are the voltages at your battery bank when you see this on the cockpit panel voltmeter?  Have you confirmed that the voltmeter is reading accurately?

The hi temp should be on the thermostat housing IIRC.  Check the manuals in the Tech wiki.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Kirk : The first thing that you should check is the actual charge (V) being put out by the alternator.  I wouldn't trust the V meter for accuracy that came with the wiring upgrade!!
If the hi voltage precisits - above about 14.5v - I think you may have a V regulator problem.

The hi temp wire is for a special hi temp switch that may not have been installed on your engine.  Look at the top of your thermostate housing and see if you have 2 probes screwed into that housing.  You probably have only one that is a brown wire to the temp sender. 

Let us know.  Hope this helps.
Ron, Apache #788

Kirk Garner

Both the battery bank and the engine panel volt meter show the same reading. Pretty sure it is going to need a new v regulator, have a buddy coming up this weekend with tools who can check it out for me. You are correct Ron, my engine does not have the High Temp warning switch so I won't be using this wire after all.

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner