Replacing Bow Cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Look at Tom Glennons' Bow cleat post from a few days ago.    :clap

Found here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3421.0
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

Ron: Please describe the anchor rode cleat in your anchor locker. I seem to be lacking one in mine!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ken Juul

I think this is what they are talking about.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Tom's hull #354 most likely does not have Ken's arrangement.  Tom, we don't have a cleat either.  We just have the well, with no windlass or step in the front with the cleat as shown in Ken's picture.  I just generally tie the bitter end of the anchor rode to my left ankle. :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The 1986/1987/1988 production boats have a completely differant anchor well that ALL other C34s!!!!
Tom : I added a 6 inch verticle cleat to the aft portion on the anchor well.  Sorry, don't have a picture as I'm installing a windlass IN the anchor well as we speak!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Ron, I'm in the process of also installing an anchor windlass inside of the anchor well of my 87.  I know that you may not have photos yet, but I would be interested in how you are approaching the job.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Roland Gendreau

We just moved from a slip to a mooring and the mooring bridle looks to be 1 inch line. So it is difficult to get it on and off the bow cleats on our 1992.  The problem seems to be that the cleat is too close to the deck, making it difficult to get the line under the cleat; becuse it doesnt slide under one end, it makes it hard to get it around the other end also. 

If the cleat was say 1/4 to 3/8" inch higher, the line would slip under and then easily around the cleat.  I'm thinking it might be possible to shim the cleat up with a piece of starboard cut to match the base profile of the cleat. Might need some longer bolts.

What do you think?   

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : I made(spliced) myself a short 3/4" bridle (2 ft) to connect to a 1" mooring ball line - I run the bridle from my cleat thru the bow roller to the mooring line.  I connect them together with a shackle and then use a large ring clip to make sure the shackle pin can't turn.  Works for me !

A thought
Ron, Apache #788