Getting ready to sell in Seattle

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

We're considering selling our 1988 C34 and buying a later model C34 or C36.  Does any one have suggestions on how to go about doing this?  Should we sell her on our own or use a broker?  Spend any money fixing her up further, or keep the selling price low?  She's a good boat, and I've made a number of improvements, upgrades and repairs, but the rigging and rudder are original, the chain-plates and stanchions need rebedding -- typical 23 yr old boat stuff.  Since I'll be buying another boat, and don't want to be boatless in Seattle, I am considering waiting until fall.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Craig Illman

Jay - Wax it and keep it looking clean.

Craig

RV61

I would talk to a broker to see if you can arrange a listing where if they bring the buyer they make thier $$ and if you find buyer your save the $$. The broker can also see behind yachtworld and tell you what the actual sell prices and how long btween listing date and sell date of other  sold C-34s  for in your area to help you set your asking price. Here in Ohio I have seen owners sell  the C-34 themselves relatively easy and others not so easy. Brokers seems to be able to sell faster as they can provide more visability. Do not know weather a broker can bring higher selling price. If using same broker on the purchase  there may be some advantage on the sell side available. Lower commision $ or even possible trade depending on the broker. At the time I puchased our 34 the broker was a Catalina dealer at the time and had some boats were traded in for new and they owned the trade in boats. They also had brokered boats. just some thoughts..
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

wind dancer

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Much appreciated.

scotty

When we wanted to buy our C-34 we owned an Islander 30.  My wife said "Put it on Craigs LIst".  I had an offer (which sold it) in three days.  I was stunned.  I found our C-34 the day after the old boat sold, on Craig's List!  Go figure.  By the way, I agree: clean, clean and clean the boat.  An empty boat looks bigger, so get your stuff (which you'll want on your new boat!) out.  Good luck on the next two happiest days of your life.
Scotty

wind dancer

Thanks, Scotty.  It is hard to part with her.  We are leaning towards waiting until fall as we have summer plans we don't want to miss by not finding a replacement in time.  We don't want to be two boat owners - not even two Catalina owners. :-)

dcalender

Good Luck,

I have a contract on mine and have promised several prospective buyers I'll contact them if the the deal falls through.
I reduced the price to what I would have netted from a broker.