Cowl Vent Touch Up

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on April 26, 2011, 05:13:52 PM
I've been noticing that my Cowl vents on the cabin top have been looking a little dingy and worn.  I have tried to clean them but nothing seems to brighten them up. I looked through previous articles on freshening up the look of the cowl vents and found that someone had recommended Krylon Dover White spray paint for plastic.  

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3439.0.html

I just came back from Home Depot and they no longer carry Krylon.  Instead I purchased an equivalent paint made by Rust-Oleum specifically for plastic.  (211339 White and 211367 Sunrise Red)  Has anybody else tried this alternative?  I'm looking forward to painting my cowl vents this weekend and even picked up a can of red to freshen up the inside of the vent.  Any comments on previously used products or results, and cautions are welcome, as always.

Wanted to thank Kevin for suggesting the Home Depot Rustoleum solution.  Repainted mine over the last two days and they turned out great.   They actually look as good as new.  
Hardest part was taping off the two colors.  We'll see how they hold up but right now I'm very happy.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kevin Henderson

It has been since May of last year when I did this project of re-painting and giving my cowl vents and Dorade boxes a face lift.  These past two weekends I went through and did my waxing of the hull and topsides.  I put a coat of wax on my painted cowl vents and polished them up.  I couldn't be happier with the results after more than a year since painting... they look brand new!! :clap 
Anyone looking for a GREAT improvement to spruce up the vents, Do what I did and be amazed at the results. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Mike Dervin

I need to do some work on my cowl vents also. I have been hesitant to start the project because I am unsure of how to remove them. Would someone please enlighten me on how they come off.

Mike Dervin
Incredible, '93

Stu Jackson

Mike, if you're a C34IA Member:  August 2005 Mainsheet Tech Notes Online

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf

If you use the "Knowledgebase" and do a Ctrl-F search on "dorade" there are many other references and links.  Here's how to "get to" the "Knowledgebase":  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html (from the "Quick Start Guide" sticky topic)

For plastic cowls, I've found that the same material I use to clean fenders works great:   Paintbrush & Roller Cleaner from a hardware store.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Mike,
I'm not certain on your specific vent but if they are anything like mine the vent itself has a ring at the base that is unscrewed and loosened.  You should be able to lift the vent straight off.  The base itself then has some small screws.  Just unloosen those and you should be set.  I took mine home and did all my preservation work in the garage.  Have Fun! :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Guys : The C34 has two different vent manufactures --  Vetus with the 4 " and Nicro with 3".

After 23 years I finally got feed up with crummy looking vent and sprung for the stainless. 

Pricey, yes .  Good looking and Maintenance free, Yes Yes Yes. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Volk

I also did what Kevin Henderson suggested with the Rustoleum paint from his May 2011 post.  I did mine in Aug. of 2011, just waxed them again last month, and they still look great.  If interested, type in 'dorade & traveller upgrade' in the [Search Box] and click on my post of Aug. 2011 to see a picture of the results.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Volk

That's it Stu.  They still look like I just painted them. 

Thanks,
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Brad Young

Mine were pretty nasty when we bought DarBay. I would clean them, then wax, but that would only last  for a couple of months. Then they went right back to their nasty state, Did not think about painting them so I did this. They look good and do not get in the way
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84