Shower Sump Pump woes

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

No : What is normal is that only the Racor fuel filter is under the head sink.  Some people install another water filter, but put it under the Galley sink.

You might consider doing what I said in the post above!! 
Ron, Apache #788

noworries

I may just end up removing the filter.  I like the idea of pre-filtering, or filtering after it comes out of the faucet (with one of those pitcher type filters)

I went down today and worked on the shower sump pump.  I tried repositioning it as low as I could get it, but it still wouldn't pump.
So I pulled it out and tested it.  It would pump.  I had a friend "help" with the install, and turns out he didn't use enough tape on the fittings.  So I got it to pump from a container.  I put it back in the bilge and plumbed it back up, but it still was a no go.  I believe the problem is I'm using a bait pump (Shurflo Bait Sentry 1100) and it's not the right pump.  I can't really get it lower then the drain of the shower, and it just won't suck air.

I did investigate the hose coming off the drain and it appears to be spliced together where I could get to it, so I would presume the PO removed the strainer.

So can anybody recommend me a pump they know will work? 

On another note, I was able to replace the holding tank vent hose, and I'm pretty sure that resolved the stinky smell.  The hose was nasty... it was actually sticky to the touch in spots.  It was regular water hose.  I replaced it with sanitation hose 3/4" ID.  It still runs to the stanchion, I figured I'd give the easy fix a try first.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

noworries

I found the Jabsco Par Max 3 for $100 or Par Max 4 for $130

West Marine only carries the Par Max 4, which is rated at 4.3gpm.  The 3 is rated at 3.5 gpm.   The 4 is self priming to 10ft, can't find what the 3 is rated for.

Any recommendations or better ideas?

Looks like the 3 is discontinued so I'm leaning towards the 4.

Lance Jones

I used the wale gulped. Love it!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

noworries

After looking at the gulper I think I'm going to go that route.  One big diaphragm vs. 4 small ones on the jabsco probably makes more sense.  It's more money... but that shouldn't be a surprise.

Lance Jones

I went with the jabsco first and it stopped working about 2 weeks later. I've had the Gulper for a while now and it just keeps on gulping!!!! Get the one way valve and strainer in place then get the pump going. While I did that to mine, I just let the shower drain into the bilge for a few days...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: noworries on April 22, 2011, 07:35:13 PM
I may just end up removing the filter.  I like the idea of pre-filtering, or filtering after it comes out of the faucet (with one of those pitcher type filters)

Why would you do that if you haven't ye figured out what it is connected to?

As far as the pump is concerned, you need one that will LIFT water.  A diaphragm pump will work, since that's what Catalina used.  As Ron said, it's because it was the least expensive. If that's the case, there shouldn't be any reason not to use another one.  Ron also explained (somewhere on this board) what he used to replace his diaphragm pump with a quieter one.  Your bait pump ain't cuttin' it, so find one that WILL work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

The water filter is connected to the sink in the galley... either the hot or the cold... no mystery there.

Took the boat out today after putting another coat of cetol on the teak rails.  It was blowing 15-22 knots.  Ended up busting a dorade off (didn't realize a sheet was fouled on it from doing the teak) and the cover on the head sail is now ripped in 6-7 places.

I've never dropped the head sail before, so I guess I'll have to go searching to find out what's involved.  The sail is 10 years old--seems like some of the stitching is failing as well... of course it didn't look that bad before we bought it.

Break Out Another Thousand...  It was an expensive day on the water.

David Urscheler

No Worries:
I just replaced my shower sump with the Whale Gulper and it works like a charm. These are made to handle waste water and not prone to clogging. It uses about half the amps the old "growler" did and is much quieter. A little more expensive, but I think well worth it. My two cents.

noworries

Got the gulper installed yesterday.  I ordered it from Northern Tool for $178 shipped.  I'm not sure I'd order again considering they took 4 business days to ship it, then they shipped it to the wrong address (looked like a typo on their part), and they shipped it in it's shelf box which was partially crushed (thin box not much packing material in it).

There was a splice in the hose coming from the shower drain to the old pump.  I've never seen anything like it on the forum so I thought I'd post about it.  It was a one-way valve made out of some kind of plastic insert into the hose.  The hose was cone shaped so it could slide into the other hose without a barb.  I busted the one way valve out so I wouldn't have to worry about it clogging and added it back because the hose wouldn't reach the pump otherwise. I'm not sure if it was some kind of home brew or what.

Amazing how quiet it is and how good it works! 

Ron Hill

now : What Catalina did was to put a 1/2" dia one way valve in to a 3/4" line  - so they added a sleeve piece to take up the space!! 
Ron, Apache #788