Moving to a mooring & SOLAR options

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Ken,

Not to give you raccoon nightmares but....a lobstermen friend reports being alongside deer as they swim to Maine islands.......mm-mm.

Best regards!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ken Heyman

Gary-

With the melting ice caps maybe polar bear sightings are next albeit they are less likely to climb aboard and crawl through the port access into the cabin.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

foobie

All:

12 Volt neophyte question: I was about to order a solar panel per our conversation in the string above, but then I began to contemplate Stu's post re: my need for a charge controller if I chose to boost my battery recovery time a bit with 40 watt panel rather than the 11-25 watt panel as noted.

I am also wondering how or if I should somehow wire this through my Xantrex freedom 1000 charger/inverter... Do I need to do this or can I wire the solar panel directly to the battery banks? How do I curtail any back-bleed from the batteries to the panels during nighttime hours?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Love this board!

Thanks as always,

Steve

Steve Eckfield

Stu Jackson

Quote from: foobie on April 16, 2011, 12:55:16 PMI am also wondering how or if I should somehow wire this through my Xantrex freedom 1000 charger/inverter... Do I need to do this or can I wire the solar panel directly to the battery banks? How do I curtail any back-bleed from the batteries to the panels during nighttime hours?

Steve,

1.  Order the panel AND the controller.

2.  The controller has a built in back feed preventer called a diode.

3.  Your charger has nothing to do with this.  Wire directly to the house bank.

4.  You may want to study or re-study the wiring diagrams in the "Electrical 101" topic I've posted.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 16, 2011, 06:58:36 PM
 Wire directly to the house bank.

With a fuse or circuit breaker per the instructions that come with the charge controller
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

foobie

Steve Eckfield