Weather Station Install

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthOccam

We recently installed a La Crosse "weather station" on Serenity.  I prefer the look of classic analog instruments, but after spending a few months coveting the Weems & Plath set, we concluded that wall space and budget wouldn't support that approach. 

Happened to be in Fry's Electronics last week and found that they were selling the "La Crosse COMBO11-IT Wireless Weather Station with Weather Forecast and Barograph" for less than half what the Weems & Plath clock cost.  One of the nice things about this kit is that it comes with two display units, both of which read the outside sensor.   Wireless inside and outside temp/humidity with min/max, relative air pressure and bar chart trend, atomic clock/calendar, moon phase, alarm.

The main display unit is installed above the nav station and the smaller one is in the v-berth (see pictures below).  The displays are light and are installed using industrial-strength velcro.  The outside sensor is installed in a cockpit locker.  So far, been very happy with the compromise.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Very nice! Only thing missing is wind speed and dirrection. What does the outside senser look like?
I might consider this for my home.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

DarthOccam

The outside sensor is fairly small:  6.25" x 1.7" by 1".  The unit is designed for residential use, but the components are "weather resistant."

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/tx7/index.php

Regards,

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703

Lance Jones

If the outside sensor is "INSIDE" the settee or aft locker, isn't that a somewhat false reading for temp, humidity etc...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

DarthOccam

Well, I haven't calibrated it against a hand-held unit, but the outside temp/humidity readings do seem to vary from the inside readings in a way that makes sense as the day warms up/cools off.  The outside sensor unit is velcroed up against the lid of the locker and is somewhat isolated from the interior space.  You could also tie-wrap it under the dodger, or a number of other locations which would be out of the direct sun and inconspicuous. 

Also, keep in mind that this approach is competing against interior wall-mounted analog instruments, so any outside readings are bonus.  I like the way it keeps a rolling 24hr pressure history that shows trend and magnitude at a glance, and the way it resets the daily temp min/max readings so you don't have to remember to do it manually.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703

Kyle Ewing

A weather station has been on my list for awhile.  The specs say it can receive 3 sensors.  Have you considered putting one in the ice-box?  It'd be handy to monitor the temperature remotely.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

DarthOccam

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on April 11, 2011, 08:28:32 PM
A weather station has been on my list for awhile.  The specs say it can receive 3 sensors.  Have you considered putting one in the ice-box?  It'd be handy to monitor the temperature remotely.

That's a very interesting idea that I hadn't considered.  A check of the manual confirms that this unit will receive three sensors.   The display shows a channel number (the white "2" in the small black box between the bottom temp/humidity readings in the picture above) and you press the CH key on the display unit to toggle between the sensors.  So for $20 and a little more velcro, you could have a temperature monitor for the refrigerator.  

Is there a better way to keep track of the fridge temp?

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703

lazybone

Micheal, for fridge temp I use something like this.  uses a aaa battery that lasts years and comes with about a four foot sensor probe/wire. 
Best part is it's real cheap.
I have a second one that I use to monitor the outlet temp. on the AC.

They even have wireless ones if you don't want to run the wire.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677