water coming in over bow

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

When I am sailing or motor sailing into the wind with 4 or 5 ft waves \ I get a lot of water coming over the bow and on deck I also get water in the boat under the v birth. After the trip and when I am at anchor or at a dock I take out the shelf in the v birth area and peek in and under that I am getting salt water I took out 4 big buckets last week. It will eventually fill the area and seep around the sides and into the bilge where it pumps out.
I must be getting a leak in the anchor well so I intend to empty everything out then fill it with water and look to see if I am getting drips down the inside. Any other ideas? Could it be coming in whre the cleats are scerewed into the hull? No softness there. It just looks like water just piours into the anchor well and then finds a way in somewhere.
Terry

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Terry,
I understand there have been problems with the drain in the anchor well leaking into the area under the v-birth. I'm not sure if there's a hose connection involved or a dirrect overboard connection. A place to start or you could try a search on anchor well.

Good Luck,
Mike

See reply #8 in this topic      http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5203.0.html

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

2ndwish

The drain in the anchor well (a nylon thru hull)is connected to a thru-hull fitting just above the water line via a hose. All parts are inspectible by getting under the v-berth. You can run water in and see where the leak is. We had a problem at the right angle adapter to the thru hull at the water line. You might also check the seal on the Beckson plate. Good luck.

Ron Hill

Terry : You've got the right idea!  Empty the V berth and there's a small cutout under the shelf.  have someone with a hose run water into the anchor well while you are looking at the inside of the anchor well. 
If you are getting "4 buckets full" you should surely be able to spot the leaking area.  Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

The toe/rub rail joint might have a small opening/s?

Tape some newspaper under the v-berth, in locker around the hull next time sailing. See where it gets wet.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Roger Blake

My culprit was a leaking deck plate in the anchor well...removed the cover, cleaned everything, applied scuba grease to the o ring and problem went away. I got lucky...simple fix.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414