Replacing my Jabsco with Raritan PHII questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

I just received the PHII and am getting ready to deepsix the Jabsco but have several questions that I do not find answers to in the many PHII/Jabsco threads (and my 2 calls to the Raritan tech line have not been returned yet).

1.   The discharge hose on the rear of PHII goes 90 degrees straight down (whereas the Jabsco goes out the side straight into the hanging locker) and not enough clearance unless I drill a 2" hole in the bathroom floor (which is the way the diagram shows it) to route it forward into the hanging locker where it needs to make another 90 degree upwards to a vented loop then 90 degree's back down and forward again into the port settee storage where the holding tank is. This sure seems like alot of 90 degree turns for solid waster to travel in such a small 1 1/2" hose, does it actually work without getting plugged up?

2.   Has anybody else drilled a hole in the floor to accommodate the discharge hose and was there enough room under the floor to make this work?

4.   How high does the vented loop need to be to make it work properly (the diagram does not specify).

Thanks as always for your help!
Kirk
Kirk Garner

Steve McGill

Kirk,

The 90 degree discharge  can be turned to suite the direction you want for discharge,
just loosen the two (part# 1223B) flange bolts. I believe you want your vented line
above the water line when heeled. Put it as high as possible in you hang locker. Other members
will gladly provide their input.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Peggie Hall

I just received the PHII and have several questions...

1.   The discharge hose on the rear of PHII goes 90 degrees straight down (whereas the Jabsco goes out the side straight into the hanging locker) and not enough clearance unless I drill a 2" hole in the bathroom  floor...

Or you COULD just loosen the screws that hold the flange onto it and rotate it to aim it to either side. Or, if the discharge needs to be a straight instead of a 90, call Raritan to swap it out.  

4.   How high does the vented loop need to be to make it work properly (the diagram does not specify).

ALL vented loops need to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL...which puts it about 3' above the bowl on most sailboats.  Note too, that it does NOT belong in the line between the thru-hull and the pump...but should be installed between the pump and the bowl.

Note too, that the PH II flush water inlet fitting is at the FRONT of the pump...the inlet fitting on your Jabsco is at the back of the pump. So you may need a longer intake line. Although maybe not...'cuz this would be a good time to reroute your head intake line to tee into the head sink drain line.

Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Kirk Garner

Thanks very much I do appreciate your help and great advice!
Kirk Garner

Wayne

As Peggy suggested, you should be able to rotate the discharge elbow--just remove (four screws?) and rotate to new position.  Trying to take it downward under the platform on which the toilet sits would not be a good idea.  Sanitation hose doesn't bend into a sharp angle, and there really isn't room to work to install an elbow underneath the platform.  Plus, you would want to keep the flow as smooth and unobstructed as possible.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Tom Glennon

For what it's worth: Raritan says that a vented loop should be placed betwen the pump (water intake) and the bowl... as well as the discharge vented loop that is typical in most installations.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Peggie Hall

Quote from: Tom Glennon on April 12, 2011, 12:27:59 PM
For what it's worth: Raritan says that a vented loop should be placed betwen the pump (water intake) and the bowl... as well as the discharge vented loop that is typical in most installations.

That's not just Raritan...if you read the installation instructions for all manual toilets, you'll see that the INTAKE vented loop is installed between the pump and the bowl...to replace the short piece of hose that connects 'em when they leave the factory.

However, you've misread the instructions for placement of a vented loop in the discharge (only needed if the toilet is plumbed to allow flushing it directly overboard at sea).  If you study the diagrams for all manual toilets again, you'll see that  there's no possible to way to put a discharge vented loop--or anything else--between the bowl and the pump. 
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/