Engine Hours - Average

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

How many engine hours do you log per year on average?  I've seen used boats run from 75-120, but I would think boats listed as "light use" would be even less than 75.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Jim Price

I have a 1991 model I purchased 8 months ago that has a total of 650 hours.  Boat spent several years in previous life on the Georgia coast and probably required fair amount of motoring to get out.  I do good to do 20 minutes on the lake at each outing now.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

mike baker

My boat is a 1988 model that was first put in service in 1989.  Before we took an extended trip this summer where we had to motor a lot (about 150 hours) the engine only had about 300 hours on it.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

c34member

My 2000 has 88 hours on the engine - 35 of them from a single canal trip.  I have a 300 ft trip out of the marina to open water, triple that by the time we get away from the enterance and motor into the wind to get the sails up.  We use the boat about 65 to 70 days per year.  Our goal is 60 SAILING days per year.  Our season runs April 15th to October 15th (by contract no less).

I do make an at-least monthly run of an hour or better at full throttle to heat up the engine enough to cook the moisture out of the oil and air spaces.  Usually on a no-wind day to the local pump out station.

Stu Jackson

We purchased our 1986 (delivered 1987) from its original owner in July 1998.  It had 888 engine hours.

Since July 1998, the hour meter now reads 1265 (four plus years).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dsavary

We purchased "Shana" new in 1991 and we have 630 hours on the engine. I am in a very windy section of the country, Cape Cod, and very rarely see calm no wind conditions.

Aquakon

My understanding is diesels prefer taxing, under-load hours to, say, idling hours.  

An engine that averages 25 ugly, stressful, straining hours chugging the sled against the current for every year of age is probably a healthier engine than the one averaging a 100 sweet, gentle, never-above-1000 rpm hours the owner tacks on without ever casting off.

Diesels need to be WORKED, not just run...

Contrary to their gasoline counterpart, diesels with lots of short easy hours are the ones that get sloppy.

Rumours of my Death Persist

Brad "Captivated" # 1285

Our 1994 just turned over 300 hrs. The previous owner did not leave the marina very often. This is our third season with this boat and we have already surpassed the total mileage sailed during the first five years. Yes, there still is paint on the hoses but we are working on that...

jentine

That is the first time I have heard the philosophy of "more is better and less is bad".  I have a great deal of trouble believing that an engine that is properly maintained and not used is a lesser value than a similar engine that is properly maintained and driven hard.  Perhaps the engine manufactures are all wrong by selling new engines as opposed to pre worn engines.
My 1992 Universal had 390 hours on it and all the original paint on the hoses.  It starts every time and performs properly.  The log has 3268 miles on it.  The two don't coincide because it is a SAIL BOAT.  It was designed to sail not motor.
Jim Kane

Jentine

Here is another reason to run that diesel as often as possible.

The EPA stated that the report “concludes that long-term inhalation exposure is likely to pose a lung cancer hazard to humans, as well as damage the lung in other ways depending on exposure.”

Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Jim

Your last two posts were "right on."  Technically (since that's what we generally do on this website, instead of posting "cutie" pictures of our dogs and ragamuffins and perpetuating other sailing myths) there is a great deal of merit in "The Pirate's" point.  

The following post by #1285 about their boat not being taken out of the marina is a parallel to that idea. "Good on you" #1285 for using the equipment on your boat.

I guess the idea is that an "abused" engine isn't a great deal, in any way.  Abuse can mean many things: neglect, lack of maintenance, and, it seems, lack of use and/or lugging.

This Message Board has been very active and useful.  In addition, there are many "original" posts on the {basic} C34 website (i.e., FAQs, Projects, etc.) that mirror this theme from the "Good Old Days" of 1986 to 1990.  Anybody remember them?

One is from one of our esteemed members who asked whether or not using his engine for only 20 minutes motoring out to sail was "bad" for the engine, since it never warmed up sufficiently.

Answer was "Yup."  We're sure he found a solution, with our help.

To summarize, it appears that the number of engine hours is NOT the ONLY consideration when figuring the condition of an engine.

Also appears that we may have to go back to the original "poster" of the question that started this thread:

OK, "Reebr" - why'd you ask the question to begin with?  Lookin' for a good previously owned C34?" :D

Be well
Do good work
Keep in touch
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Alohman

Our 1986 has about 2300 hours.  We use the boat quite a lot on the Ches. Bay.  We put 100 + hrs per year.  Takes about 45 minutes to motor to bay, prevailing winds being right on the nose fairly often.  The reals answer is that we use our boat quite a lot, almost every weekend and several extended trips each year until it is freezing (literaly).  I guess in our case, high hours means we love our C-34. Diesels will run almost forever with a little TLC and oil changes every 50 hours.

Bob Kuba

We purchased a 1994 C34 this year that has 1200 hours on the engine. As a matter of fact, I found it advertised on this web site! Good show.

Anyway, the previous owner sailed the boat from Cleveland, up to the North Channel of Lake Huron, every summer for 6 weeks. About 600 miles round trip. I too had the same concerns about the engine time, but the surveyor said not to worry, they'll run forever if you treat 'em right.

Well, I held my breath and bought the boat, and then sailed it from Cleveland to Chicago. 830 miles in 12 days. The engine is as strong as a horse. Doesn't blow smoke or burn any oil.

Best decision I ever made.
No regrets here.
Bob

reedbr

The original reason I wanted to know what was considered average engine hours was to determine the use of the boat, not specifically the engine.  Yes, I am in the market for a used boat.  Since sailboats don't have true odometers like cars, engine hours are the next closest thing.  I am attempting to weed out charter, part-time charter, or "shared" boats since in general their maintenance seems to be lower in ratio to their use.  I know this is a grand generalization, but it is at least partially deserved.  When buying through a broker, a boat's history is not always easy to find out.  There are also other signs that a boat has been chartered, so engine hours is just piece of information to factor, and not the only factor.

The rest of the information on diesels though was very interesting though.  It seems that with diesels, like old cars, regular use is better than sitting.

Maybe I can spark more conversation here?  How about "Are racers harder on their boats than cruisers?".  Or, "Are offshore miles considered harder miles on a sailboat?".  Oh, maybe we'll save those for another post topic.

Thanks for all of your feedback.  You have answered all my questions and then some.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD