Forestay fitting: How dangerous is this crack, and how to get it repaired?

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

Was cleaning the stainless on the boat today and came across this crack.  The other side has a matching crack.

So my questions are:
1) What is this part called?  It's where the forestay attaches at the bow
2) How risky is it to go out in light air (10-15 knots)
3) Can this be repaired by welding it, or do I have to replace it?  Do you have it welded on the boat or do I have to remove it?  (Looks like it would be a bitch of a project to remove)
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

lazybone

You can have it done from the dock but it will need to be ground open, clear and clean. Does the opposite web look the same?
Do you get a lot of mast pumping and vibration?

(There's only so much to be seen from one pic but there would have to be a lot of repetative forces required to get what looks like a nicely welded joint to fail. Whatever the cause, it could be affecting other components of that stay and the other stays.  Have a rigger carefully check the thing from all angles.)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mainesail

I would be very concerned about that stem head fitting. Not so much for the crack but how they thinned out the stainless. Surely that can't have come that way from the factory with that cut out notch? I know for a fact that our Catalina 36 was not cut away and thinned like that and the stem head fitting was very, very similar in design. Perhaps, and it is hard to tell from the photo, but maybe they just doubled up at the tang? If 1/4" is the design criteria for thickness then surely it should be 1/4" over the entire length, our 36 was & the 34 is not that much different spec wise. Of course if it is just doubled at the tang than it's just a cracked weld and may not be such a big deal.

Hope you don't mind that I drew on your pic...

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

I've never seen this problem, but here is my answers.
1) stem head
2) I think you would be fine...if it was me I would not think twice about getting home with that...I would fix ASAP
3) Remove it and have it welded or check replacement cost.  I don't think that it will be that hard of a job.  A couple of hours on and off plus weld time.

now a question for you

Can't see in the picture.  What is above the straps?  There should be a double toggle that should allow the forestay to move side to side (I can see that in the picture) and there should be another toggle to allow motion fore and aft.  If that is missing it probally caused the problem.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

I think the straps are the toggle.  The straps can move side-to-side and you can see that they are cut out at the top to allow the bottom of the turnbuckle to move fore-and-aft.   :thumb:

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

noworries

So would I call a rigger, or a marine welder, or should I contact Catalina for a replacement part?

When we had the boat hauled for a survey, we had to disconnect the backstay.  Now at certain speeds/points of sail the boat hums--pretty loud.  Could the backstay tension be off?

Here's some more pics
Other side

Front view

noworries

This is what the broker said:

The forestay tang needs to take the load in a up and down direction and should be OK.  I don't see any loss of structural integrity in the tang itself, just the weld that attaches it to the section that the sail tacks to.  Seeing that you have roller furling the sail tack section does not even have a load on it.  That said, I would definitely have a rigger take a look at it and see what he has to say.

Any thoughts?  I'm thinking we're ok for a little 10-15 knot harbor cruise tomorrow, but will have a rigger check it out I guess.  Now to try and find a good rigger.

lazybone

A good welder should be able to tell (if/maybe) it was a bad or contaminated weld to begin with.  
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

I think you're good for that harbor cruise.   :thumb:  I agree with the broker that the part that's taking the load looks fine.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jim Hardesty

After looking at the picture a bit more.  Looks like the angle of the stem head fitting isn't matching the angle of the forestay.  This is causing the fitting to bend and put the welds in tension causing them to crack. I think pull the stem head fitting off, have it welded with a nice fillet on the inside and it's good go. 
My two cents.  This is something that I think the surveyor should have discovered.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ozzie

I had the exact same problem on my boat. If you look close at the front of the stem fitting it has been bent forward slightly at the bottom of the crack. The construction of the stem fitting is 1/4" SS with another 1/4" piece welded to the upper end so the pin doesn't move around. The semi circular cut is from the original weld (called undercutting) and may be only at the end of the weld.

My best guess why the fitting cracked is the forestay has been pulled forward at some point. Maybe a loose rig? On my boat the fitting doesn't line up with centreline of the boat, which could also have put load on it. Nor does it exactly point at the masthead fitting.

My advise would be to remove the fitting and take it to a stainless fabrication shop and have them straighten the fitting and weld the crack. I also had a piece of 1/4 inch SS welded into the fitting under the tang to beef it up so it was 1/2" all the way down.
You have two choices drop the mast or hold it up with halyards while you get it fixed. Ask a rigger what your best options are.

When you do remove the stem fitting there are some extra long bolts and some backing plates that could fall down. You also have to be a bit of a contortionist to get your arm thru the bung hole in the anchor locker to get to the nuts.

Dave.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I had some similar problems that was found by my rigger, removed  and fixed by a welder that he knew. All is well now. I will post pictures.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

NO : I'd send your picture to Gerry Douglas at Catalina. 
He's the designer and best able to answer your question - rather than openions from this form.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Here's ours.  I was interested to note that the same partially doubled up bar stock appears there, too.  (The "cut notch"as Maine Sail  noted and Ozzie explained)  Seems they're all that way.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Stu,
Seems like a lot of corrosion on that bottom shackle.  I'm no expert but you might want to replace it just as a precaution.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447