Kubota parts for M25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

After reading a number of posts concerning the use of Kubota D950 parts for the M25XP, I headed to the local Kubota dealer to pick up a valve cover gasket.  I was surprised when the gasket didn't fit.   I brought the valve cover with me back to the dealer and confirmed the gasket he had given me matched the part number; he also took another one out of inventory just to be sure and it was also too large. (The kubota gasket is at least an inch too long to fit in the groove around the cover).

It isn't a big deal (although the price is double) as I will order the gasket from the Universal dealer.

But I wonder if anyone else has run into situations where Kubota parts didn't fit?

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ken Juul

Curious, I have never had a problem using Kubota parts.  Perhaps you have misidentified your engine.  The M25, M25xp, and M25xpa all use the same valve cover.  The M25xbp is totally different.  Pictures from the Torreson Marine parts catalog. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Roland : Back in the very early 1990s I wrote an article and mentioned that the valve cover gasket was rubber and that it probably never needed to be replaced.

The valve cover I had on my old M25XP had probably been removed and reseated at least a dozen + times and I never found that it leaked.  Just make sure that you do NOT overtighten and the head surface is completely clean.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

Ken,  thanks for posting the pictures. My engine valve cover matches the picture of the M25xp, not the xpb

Ron,  I am replacing the gasket because the engine seemed to have developed an oil drip after I adjusted the valves. I cannot actually see where it is leaking from (it drips from somewhere near the aft port side), but a small amount of oil accumulates below the engine over time.   I replaced the oil drain hose earlier but that did not resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude# 1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Roland Gendreau

What model Kubota engine is the M25XPB?

When I bought the gasket, I specified Kubota 950 as the engine equivalent for the M25XP so the gasket he sold me was for the 950. 

Thanks

Roland
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : There should be a decal on the engine giving it's model.

A dead give away is -- if the engine is painted a metallic bronze it's an M25XP(23hp).
If the engine is painted a light blue metallic it's probably an M25XPB(26hp).

Also if the raw water pump (usually an Oberdoffer) is on the starboard side of the engine it's an M25XP.
If the raw water pump is a Sherwood on the port side of the engine it's an M25XPB.

Hope this helps.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

My M25-XPA was painted blue and had a Sherwood on the starboard side. I'm pretty sure that I replaced the valve cover gasket with a Kubota part.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : The difference between the M25XP and the M25XPA is the manufacture :
M25XP - Oshkosh (metallic bronze)
M25XPA - Westerbeke (metallic light blue/silver)
Ron, Apache #788

Roland Gendreau

The nameplate on my engine is stamped M25XP.

The engine is painted metalic blue. (not a repaint)

The Sherwood pump is on the starboard side.

In looking at the Kubota D950 parts listing on this site, the part number for the valve cover gasket (15381-14520) matches the part number of the gasket that the Kubota dealer sold me, which doesn't fit.

Craig, I would be interested in the part number of the gasket you bought.

Roland

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Craig Illman

Roland - It was probably three years ago and I certainly don't remember part numbers or maintain records. I thought my hull #1150 had the last M25XP installed. I would have liked a M35.

Craig

David Comando

As far as the "Critical Upgrades...Or Else..." I'm dealing with the "Or Else". I did get the oil pan removed, as the original one seemed to have catastrophic failure (oil coming out from all over) from rust due to a weeping Oberdorfer water pump. The marine application oil pan is near $400,  :cry4`I am getting a Kubota pan for $57. If it is good...I'm installing it,  :D otherwise I have a $57 planter and still have to buy the oil pan for $400. Anybody else willing to admit that they've "been there..done that?"
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ken Juul

Before you install the new pan I suggest you plug the existing drain hole and have a new one installed at the rear of the pan so you can get all the oil out during oil changes.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Tom Glennon

David:
Did you leave the engine in place when you removed the oil pan?  I have an M25XP on my '87 that I think I am going to replace the oil pan on... Kubota certainly seems the way to go.  I have acess to a good welding shop, so any mods I can bring the old pan and the new one to them. 
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

David : I'm sure that the oil dipstick for the D950 Kubota engine is on the port side.  You need to check that.
Years ago I mentioned that if anyone gets a new oil pan, to change the drain plug to the rear of the pan -Not that hard to do!!

Roland : The M25XP engine made by Westerbeke will NOT have an A in it's designation (it'll be the blue/silver color).  It's just like a C34 MKI is only marked as a C34 !!!!

A few thoughts.  
Ron, Apache #788

David Comando

Being "short of stature" has its advantages. I was able to get out all of the 17 bolts attaching the oil pan with out altering the position of the engine, although my position had to be contorted to get to all the bolts. I mentioned 17 bolts, there were 18 places for bolts, only 17 were there. I ordered the dipstick tube for $120 with gasket and bracket. I need to drill and attach, I may also weld it on depending on the advice of the machinist that does it. I "suck" the oil out for oil changes from the dipstick tube. As long as it has a drain, I don't care about its location. You can use me as the "Poster Child" for "Critical Upgrades or Else!" I wouldn't wish this job on anyone. When the pumps weeps...replace it!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.