Oberdorfer Pump FacePlate

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

I have read in several places about scoring on the Oberdorfer FacePlate. That it needs to be sanded smooth.

I have a couple of questions.

1) How smooth does it need to be? I have circular score marks that I can see, however I can rub my finger over these marks and it feels pretty smooth.

2) How does this scoring effect the water flow / water temp?

Thanks
brad
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Ron Hill

Brd : Let your fingernail be the judge!!  If your fingernail can feel it - keep sanding.

If there is a grove, the outside of the impeller is NOT sealed and the pump will pump less water!  Use wet "sand" paper to smooth the finish.
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Young

Hopefully there will be two pica attached.

Before and after on the FacePlate. I would have to sand down a lot more to get rid of the spec or spot. It is rather deep.
Should I get a new FacePlate?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

If you've evenly sanded it down, it should be just fine.  Try it and see if it works.  I've always had one for a backup, so buy one anyway.  Nice job.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I was browsing on the Catalina 36 website, and there were a number of people there who were not installing the clip that holds the impeller in place.  It seems that would be a poor practice, resulting in wear like described here.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : The "C" clip is recessed so it can't score the face plate.  
Also the "C" clip isn't really needed as the impeller can't go anywhere!!

Don't forget to finish off the sanding with #400 wet/dry paper to give the face plate a polished finish !!
Ron, Apache #788