Location of bimini pad eye straps for 97 MKII 34'?

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie

Hi,  I'm redoing a 97 MKII.  Decks have all been redone.  There is no sign of where the bimini  eye (pad) straps use to be.  Not sure where the coachroof or even if they went to the  sidedeck or stanchions.  Know that if it is the wrong place can interfere with mainsheet, boarding boat, moving around, etc.  Can anyone let me know where the padeyes for  a "stock" bimini are typically located?   Also the aft straps just attach to the stern rail, right? Thanks
1997 Catalina MKII

tonywright

This pic from Yachtworld shows the attachment point clearly. On this one the aft straps have been replaced by struts, but if you are still using straps, yes they go to the aft rail.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Cookie

Thanks,  It looks like it attaches on the deck close to the toerail.  I would not have guessed this.  My straps come from the top of the bimini, not from the side strut.  Does your boat or other boats you have seen work this way?
1997 Catalina MKII

Ken Juul

I think most Binimi's and dodgers are added at the dealership not the factory.  They usually contract it out to a local canvas shop.  They can be attached in a bunch of different ways.  One suggestion is to do as Tony did.  Look at all the 34-36s on yachtworld and see if you can find one that has a bimini similiar to yours.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

These two photos might help show one option
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

John Sheehan

The Bimini on our 34 came with straps and we quickly changed them out for struts.  Our setup is similar to the picture that Tony enclosed but we also replaced the forward strap with a horizontal bar across the upper part of the V in the bracing.  The straps always seemed to be in the way when loading and boarding.  With the addition of the additional horizontal bar you keep the side entrance clear along with not needing any more holes in the boat.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

tonywright

Actually it attaches on top of the toerail.  This is the factory install. 

Like others I got rid of my straps and installed a couple of struts instead, with quick release pins to still allow folding up.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

Now I'm confused.  Are you asking about how the frame is mounted or how to attach the straps?   Here iare a couple pictures of another way to mount the frame on a MKII. 

The straps, if you choose to use straps rather than the struts that others have described, can go just about anyway you want them.  I have my forward straps attached to feet of my dodger angled up to the upper end of the forward arch. Has enough room to enter/exit the cockpit.  The aft straps go to the stern rail about halfway between the gate and the sides.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Cookie

Thanks for all your help and pictures.  To answer the question, I was looking where the forward bimini straps were attached.  The toerails explain why I could not find the previous mount holes and the struts seem like a really good way to go.
1997 Catalina MKII

Roger Blake

On my 1998, the forward tube of the bimini is attached to the aft tube of the dodger by an adjustable strap. That pulls the bimini forward. The aft port and starboard tubes of the bimini have straps going straight down to the rail tubes and back up to the connection point (metal loop) on the bimini tubes...this pulls the bimini backwards. I like this set up since it eliminates the long strap down to the toe rail. Your boat...well...you know the rest of that sentence.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414