Retro-Fitting Hatch Screens

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

We have been using loose netting to cover our 2 overhead hatches and the entry hatch, but would like a more "tailored" approach.  We know we can purchase a variety of off-the-shelf solutions, but has anyone retro-fitted their hatches with kits from the original hatch manufacturers?  Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

waterdog

Steve, are you willing to do some sewing?   I have a tailored screens for the forward hatch and the companionway.  They are netting with canvas border held in place with snaps.  The netting is tight and neat. It doesn't fall down and is quick to install.   For the forward hatch location the snaps also do double duty to hold the wind scoop.  The screen also has snaps to the windscoop so i get a good bug-free breeze. 

Going sailing today.  I will try to remember to take a picture if you are interested.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stephen Butler

Yes, we can sew and some pictures would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : If you send me your Email address I'll send you pictures of my center screen mod.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

tonywright

For the MKII there is a screen kit from Lewmar for the overhead hatches.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

The PO sewed velcro around the edge of a piece of screen sized to fit on the teak hatch frame.  The other half is either self stick or regular velcro glued to the frame.  Been using it for 10+ years without any maintenance.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA