Transmission shifter issue cropped up today

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

Still shaking down the "new to me" boat.  The engine usually shifted from reverse to neutral to forward with very short throws, and even felt like there were indents for the different gears.

Today I threw the boat in reverse after I stopped the motor and it felt like something gave way, and the reverse lever now moves too far back (even though it still works).

I recently installed an autopilot and ran cables down the starboard side of the pedestal, but that's where the old cable was so I wouldn't think that would break anything.

Before I dig out everything in the aft cabin (aka storage area right now), do you think I need to be looking at the transmission side or will I need to open up the pedestal to figure out what's going on?  I want to make sure something isn't about to give way and then I'll be stuck unable to shift the boat at the wrong time.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

The first place to look is at the rear of the engine.  Assure that the cable is connect3ed properly and that the lever there works.  Then go up from there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

No :  Have someone at the shifter on the steering pedestal and you get down below at the transmission.  Then have the person above shift and you can see what is happening at the transmission. 
I seriously doubt if running those cables did anything as to the shifting cable.

Almost sounds like the screw that's in the STOP on the cable at the transmission shift lever is loose.   
Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

I had a similar problem after having had some work done inside the pedestal.  There is a plastic (if I remember correctly it is plastic) bracket that holds the lever in place (same thing for the throttle lever).  Somehow the screw holding this bracket in place had become loosened.  The fact that you were working inside the pedestal just before this problem cropped up suggests there might be a relationship.
Good luck!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

noworries

Is the plastic bracket in the pedestal?  The only thing I did on the pedestal is enlarge a hole on the starboard side to accommodate the autopilot motor wire + the new controller wire (just had the motor wire before). 

Steve Sayian

No,

Yes it's inside the pedestal below the gear assy about 16 inches.  On my boat, the nut to remove the bracket is inside the engine control panel.  You have to remove the panel and you'll see the nut just under the upper lip of the panel housing. 

I just replaced my shifter cable and this was something I had to disconnect.  The shift and throttle cables are attached to the plastic bracket with a cotter pin running across the cables to hold them in place in the pedestal.  You'll have to detach both cables from the levers to remove the bracket.  Here's a picture of the top of the pedestal showing the gear assy and levers.  I didn't take any shots inside the pedestal.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

tonywright

On my boat all wiring for the autopilot and other systems run inside the stainless tubes of the pedestal guard rather than the pedestal itself. Maybe that is where you enlarged the hole - in the stainless tube? If so, then work inside this tube would not affect the shifter cable, which runs entirely inside the pedestal.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

noworries

Here's the only picture of the pedestal I have.  I'm going to the boat tomorrow so I'll try and get a better one.

The 1 is the gear shift lever.
The 2 points to the approx location of where the hole was enlarged.

I've never been inside a pedestal before, but I drilled the hole in the white aluminum, definitely not stainless.

That's my dad driving the new boat... and yes he has pants on.

noworries

I opened up the binnacle yesterday and didn't see anything amiss.  I'm going to check at the transmission next.