ice cube tray

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm perusing my to-do-next-season list and need help finding a ice cube tray to work in my standard MKll refrigerator.  Looks like the OEM had some kind or vertical one in mind.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Joe Kern

Waeco makes them.  Here is one supplier.  I think defender has them too.  Not cheap  http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?page=2&cid=154671&bid=871
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

PK

We have recently vowed never to use our vertical ice trays again unless we are in a dire situation; (ie. 4 days out in a remote anchorage and desperately craving evening cocktails) as getting the ice out of the holders takes almost as much effort as walking to the store and buying a bag.  Does anybody have a more yacht like way of getting the ice out?  (Besides handling every piece and beating the c%#p out of the block to seperate them)  That being said...being able to make your own ice is pretty sweet!!

Stu Jackson

Joe's right, also try camping or RV suppliers.

PK: a better way?  One word: Patience.  You simply can't be in a hurry. 

Take the tray out sooner, since you know when you'll be needing them.  We bring a bag of ice for the first night and rely on the tray for the rest of our trips.  We take all of the cubes out and put them in a baggie the second night.  The tray usually doesn't leak, the cubes are huge, so one tray goes a long way.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

My procedure is to run a little hot water over the outside so the frozen block slides out easily.   The block goes straight into a ziploc bag.   I then grab my ballpeen hammer from the handy companionway tool storage pouch.   I whack each cube and remove the plastic dividers.  

I am not sure that qualifies as more yacht-like.   Basically it is beating the crap out of them to separate them.  

Unfortunately after a year of using them every day, my aluminum trays are bulging and have split at the bottom.  So if you are really vowing never to use yours again, send them to me and I'll forever relieve you of your misery!

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Joe Kern

1.  Run very hot water over the outside until the ice inside totally melts. 

2.  Gently remove the plastic insert (that is the one of the two you have that did not already break).

3.  Throw the trays in the aft cabin right next to the too small danforth anchor that came with the boat and will never get used.

4.  Drink your scotch without ice as it should be drank anyway.

One thing I have tried is this and they work pretty well.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/ice-cube-bags-10-pack/30314
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

PK

I'm happy to see that's how it's done by most everyone here!
1. put on your sea boots - check (this makes it a little more yacht-like  :D)
2. Run hot water over them - check!
3. little plastic thingies are both broken by now - check!
4. smack the block with something hard - check
5. place 1 cube in your drink since they are huge and you don't want to displace too much liquor - check
6. sit in the cockpit enjoying your hard earned cocktail w/ self made ice, remembering to yourself that you are enjoying a cocktail on your boat while everyone back East is wondering what their boats look like since they have been buried in snow for the last 5 months! - check :cry4`
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm on the right track.

Brad Young

Here is what DarBay Does.

Buy 1 bag (8lb) of ice and place it at the bottom of the ICE BOX.
Take egough Ice out for a margarita or two each day. Last about 1 week.
Then go buy another bag of ice.

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

waterdog

Brad, that could lead us into a debate about the perfect margarita recipe.   But there is no need for debate.   Here is the perfect margarita recipe:

No foo foo tippy tippy margarita glass.   Go with a good stout tumbler.  A large one.   Salt the rim if you want to. 

Take not one, but two of the extra large ice cubes from the vertical tray.  Put them in the glass.

Squeeze the juice from 1 1/2 of those little Mexican limes over the ice.

1 shot tequila blanco

1 shot tequila reposado

1 shot Controy (substitute Triple Sec and gasoline if no Controy available)

Top up with Squirt

Stir.  Do not blend.  A good margarita is served rocas not like something out of the slushy machine at Seven Eleven.

To qualify as a Senor Steve Row Home Margarita,  use a two ounce shot glass.  Do not operate the outboard motor. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Jim : The Adler Barbour ice cube trays are $$$$ so take the previous advice and go to an RV place and get some VERTICAL ice cube trays.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Gee, this is almost as much fun as "How We Make Coffee on Our Boat"

Our "Poor Man's Marguerita:

Lotsa tequila

Limeade from the market

Limes (of course)

Salted rim

Two vertical ice cube tray ice cubes - don't use three, you'll waste too much space in the glass for the tequila

Enjoy, me hearties  8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Brad Young

waterdog, you almost got it right.
instead of squirt.
squeeze in the juice of 1/2 to 1 lime  :thumb:

Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

The only way to drink tequila is out of a brown paper bag, never mind all that foo foo stuff.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Lance Jones

Dead on Ralph! Same for rum and whiskey!!!

Airborne
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622