Racing Genoa / Main WANTED - Consistantly Losing Racer needs Help !

Previous topic - Next topic

ellispe

Fellow Catalina 34 Racers. I have a 2005 Catalina 34 std rig. I have been racing consistently in Los Angeles in Redondo Beach California  and seem to consistently come in last place each week. I have an experienced crew, a folding prop, a two year old Doyle cruising main and old NORTH Sail 3DL 155 Genoa that due to a run in with a spreader was shredded. Due to its age and fragility, it does not pay for us to put any more money into repairing it.

The winds in our area are light and average someplace between 6 to 8 Knots.  We are looking to purchase another used 155 racing sail preferably for a SDT rig, though we could cut down a tall rig version. We may also be interested in a used Racing main as ours is a cruising main. If you know of anyone with some used sails, we would appreciate if you could have them email me at peter.ellis@ngc.com

If you do not have any sails, I would be grateful for any recommendations for the types or cut of sails that may help us to go faster in light winds. Is a deck sweeper better thn a high clue sail for light winds ?.  Any insight if you know of any places to get any new sails at reasonable costs would help as well.

Thanks again and happy sailing!
Peter Ellis Island II

David Comando

I tried beer can racing on my 34 in the Peconic Bay of Long Island. I have cruising sails in very good condition, only about 6 (short) seasons old. My head sail is a 155, which most of the time is too much in winds over 15kts. With winds in the low teens, Kindred Spirit performs well enough to pace a Tartan 33. In the winds you sail in, the 155 should keep the boat moving well. Are you PHRF? What's your rating? Is your bottom clean?
I ask these questions as in club races I jump on a J-22 so I can be competitive, KS is built for comfort, not for speed. Good Luck!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.