Replace the LP Gas Hose too?

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

I replaced all the fuel lines, some obviously needed, others looked okay but I replaced them anyway after reading the many posts regarding this. Question I have is what about replacing the LP Gas line (original as far as I know - 22 yrs) that goes from the enclosed tank in the aft lazerette to the stove/oven? I have visually inspected the entire 13' length and it appears to be fine, no nicks, scratches and hose still feels supple. This would be a costly line to replace with new fittings so don't want to unless you think it is necessary as a safety precaution.

Thanks as always!
Kirk
Kirk Garner

Ralph Masters

when I replaced the fuel tank on ciao Bella, hull 367 1987 I Replaced all hoses even the one that looked fairly new from the fuel lift pump to the engine filter, better safe, and a few more bucks in then sorry.

Ralph
Ex Scientia Tridens
(Through Knowledge, Sea Power)
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

waterdog

I asked myself the same question. Once you start to wonder about a twenty year old piece of rubber that contains a pressurized flammable gas, you already know the answer to the question. The good news was a replacement was available off the shelf with fittings attached for a very reasonable price.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ralph Masters

My next project now that the fuel tank problem is behind me is replace the pressure alcohol stove.  I replaced the tank and hose but want to up grade to CNG or Propane.  CNG is readily avail here in San Deigo so it may be less expensive to go that way and not to the full Propane route.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kirk Garner

Steve,

Where did you find it 'off the shelf'? Yes you're right I do know the answer, visions of exploding fireballs would put a damper on that first cup of coffee in the morning!

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

waterdog

Kirk,

it might have actually been West Marine.  Now if I recall what I bought wouldn't have been 13 feet.  It had to have been 15 or maybe 20 feet.   At the time I replaced the hose I had also moved the termination of the hose to a fitting that goes through the deck at the transom.    So I probably needed a little more length anyway.   I have had custom length propane hose done before and it is not too expensive. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SD Diver on March 04, 2011, 06:51:56 AM
My next project now that the fuel tank problem is behind me is replace the pressure alcohol stove.  I replaced the tank and hose but want to up grade to CNG or Propane.  CNG is readily avail here in San Deigo so it may be less expensive to go that way and not to the full Propane route.

Ralph, if you are ever thinking of traveling further south or if you plan to sell the boat, go to propane.  We have CNG and like it.  Our supplier is right down the street.  But once you leave the States, CNG disappears, both north and south of the border.  If you're going to the trouble and expense of switching over, do it once.  While the storage box is more expensive for the propane, if I was planning to do long distance travel I'd switch to propane.   I know, your money, your boat, but that's what I'd do.

That said, we have two CNG tanks on board, each one lasts six months with steady weekend use.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Sure would be nice if someone answered Kirk's question as I'd also like to know the length needed :

How much length is needed to replace the propane hose from the stove/oven to the propane box in the aft lazerette?

A little extra short hose (2-3ft) is also needed to go from the inside of the box to the tank.
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Kirk doesn't have a question about length.  A 15 foot hose assembly is available on the west marine site for $65.  Probably available from many other vendors.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

John Langford

I can't answer Ron's question but I can tell you that on my MK II the propane hose run from inside the propane locker across the transom and along the port side to my new Dickinson propane heater on the portside bulkhead forward of the mast was exactly 39 feet. I brought the hose up to the base of the heater from the locker below the port side settee.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

Guys : The only reason that the MK 1 propane hose length (propane box aft laz. to stove/oven) is important - is because RV supply places have a 12' length for $22, where Defender has a 15' length for $61.  Daaa  

Also, I believe measurements where the item is out of the boat and the item is straightened out.  When I take mine out I'll tell you the actual measurement.  Don't believe that Frank paid for a special non  standard hose.  Know Frank better than that!!   
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

I don't understand the question. Kirk opened the thread stating that the hose is 13 feet.  Buy a 12 foot and take it back if you find it too short. Or buy 15 feet and secure an extra loop and be sure you won't have to make two trips to the boat.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Good point.  Personally i would pay $50 to eliminate a connection. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat