Air Conditioner

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Never thought I'd say this.  I'm going to put AC in Shamrock. Enough said about that.  Checked out the great wiki here, measured places to install, and decided to put it under the vberth like Terry Clark did.  Lots of space for the installation and the only thing I'd give up is the drawer that we haven't found useful.
I'm asking this group for brand and model recommendations and where to purchase.  Both good and bad experiences.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Joe Kern

My Marine-Aire 16000 BTU Vector series has worked very well. Quiet, cools and heats.  Mounted under the starboard side seat just forward of the salon table.  Vented into v-berth, main cabin and aft cabin.    Thru hull and water pump mounted under the head sink.  Condenstate drains using a Mermaid condensator and not into the bilge.  Installed by the dealer in Georgia so can't help with where to order.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

lazybone

Don't give up the drawer in the V- berth.  Our AC is mounted there and fits below the drawer.    You will have to remove the bungs and screws which hold the drawer in but the extra time that might take is probably less than patching the hole that it will leave.

I did the installation about 15 yrs ago and unfortunatly the AC manufacturer is long gone.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

I highly recommend... http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/ 

Their main business is commercial A/C, they build a solid unit at a price not inflated by advertising dollars.  My first unit lasted ~15 years..the replacement bolted right in with a minimum of changes.   One big plus is they use an electrical element for heat, can be used in the winter without the need for water passing through the unit.

I have an unusual 2 unit installation, 6K cooling the vee berth, 12k cooling the rest of the boat.  Small one is under the vee berth, big one under the forward salon settee.  A new thru hull with strainer and both pumps are in the bottom of the vee berth hanging locker.  Done by PO's so I have just left as is.  An unexpected benifet is my Honda 2000 will run the large one at anchor to cool the boat down prior to bed time, I don't run it all night.

I am also going to tee into the thru hull an anchor wash down pump.  Really simplifies the plumbing runs.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael Shaner

The PO installed ours under the V. The drawer is still there and functioning nicely. To me it seems like a great use of otherwise very difficult to access space. Duct runs (MK1) are obtainable for central air to the V, main salon and the aft cabin...works nicely. We have a 16000 BTU Cruisair unit...I will share that I've had less than stellar tech service from Cruisair, but the unit conditions the boat nicely...heat and AC. I've been contemplating the addition of a diesel heater for a couple years now...port lazarette install for the unit with the forced air "plumbed"in the opposite direction...
Michael & Alison Shaner

sailaway

Jim I mounted a 12k unit under the vee berth. I took out the useless drawer and made that my return air vent and installed an air filter in it. I went with 6 inch duct . I went into the hanging locker and tee off to the top of the hanging locker  . And went straight throw to the main salon.  The unit does good at night. The vee berth is cool and the main saloon. Lake Erie is hot in August. Charlie

sailaway

Jim I just posted and I was wrong about the duct size it was 4inch. Charlie

lazybone

Quote from: sailaway on March 04, 2011, 03:28:43 PM
Jim I mounted a 12k unit under the vee berth. I took out the useless drawer and made that my return air vent and installed an air filter in it. I went with 6 inch duct . I went into the hanging locker and tee off to the top of the hanging locker  . And went straight throw to the main salon.  The unit does good at night. The vee berth is cool and the main saloon. Lake Erie is hot in August. Charlie

Maybe the earlier models were different but we have a very large drawer where we keep all of our linens.  Hardly useless.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

chuck53

Think hard about the size you get.  When I bought mine last summer, my AC guy and I spoke at length about the size.  I got Cruise-Aire and he said they had a 12k, 14k and 16k unit.  I was afraid the 16 might be too big and the 12 too small.  I told him to get the 14.  We didn't find out until he went to order that the 14 had been discontinued.  I said get the 16.
I wish I had gotten the 12 instead.
Yes, the 16 does a pretty good job during the heat of the day, but I'm more concerned with my sleeping comfort.  At night time, it doesn't take long to cool the boat down which means the compressor doesn't have to run so much and the humidity starts to creep up.  I have to turn my unit down to around 62 when we go to bed to keep humidity down.  When it comes to comfort, low humidity is just as important as low temps.

Jim Hardesty

Thanks,  I wouldn't have thought that.  I was thinking bigger is better.  Pull in from sailing, plug in, and quickly cool down the boat was my thoughts.  I'm still looking and planning.  The information is greatly appreciated.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

chuck53

It's a balancing act to get it right.  What's more important, daytime or nightime comfort?
Too small just won't get the job done.  Too large and the boat gets cold and clammy.

Ken Juul

Air circulation is the key to comfort.  I set the heat or A/C on a temp that will be comfortable and keep the fan in the on position.  Air is constantly moving, the compresser cuts on as needed to keep the temp at the desired setting.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

I have found my unit 16,000 BTUs does the job and have never noticed any problems with too much humidity etc. and that is in Fla and the Bahamas.

Ignoring the discussion about the pros and cons of leaving the boat on shorepower, I would highly recommend a unit with the humdity ciruclation feature that kicks on from time to time when you are gone.  I keep my boat locked up in very hot and humid temperatures and have yet to see any mold. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

chuck53

Joe,
If I was as far south as you, I'm sure I'd want my 16k unit.  It gets pretty hot here in Va as well, but for my needs, 16k is too much.  I wish they still had that 14k unit when I ordered.

Michael Shaner

Chuck, there should be a humidity control option (HU) on your control unit? Are you cooling the aft cabin as well? The only humidity issues we have are when the Admiral sets the AC on 50 in mid August and the boat is so cold the windows begin to condensate...on the outside!
Michael & Alison Shaner