Head deck cleaner

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I learned my lesson last time I used a chlorine based cleaner for the head -- well it is sort of like a real bathroom.... It ate the pump up.

I'm concerned about fungus developing on the head deck as it is usually moist to some extent. I'm sure Peggy has some great suggestions as do the rest of you.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Peggie Hall

I'm not sure what you mean by "deck"...the head sole (floor)?  Toilet bowl??? Toilet seat??? Something else???
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Lance Jones

The deck on which one stands while showering...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I keep a small window cleaner's squeegee in the toilet paper closet.  Originally bought it to clean the dew off the dodger windows but now also use it to sweep all the water into the drain hole.  Can also use it on the walls.  Once 90% of it is gone, give it a quick wipe with a towel that then dries clipped to a life line.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Lance : Although some surely wouldn't approve, but the best way that I found to keep the head "deck" clean is as follows:

Take some soft scrub with bleach and with a brush scrub/clean the anti skid "deck".  Then get in and take a shower to rinse it out.  One of the side bennies is that as you shower beside rinsing off the deck, you  also kill any toe nail fungus!! 
Guess it's one of those guy things!!   Smile Peggy!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Peggie Hall

Quote from: Lance Jones on March 01, 2011, 12:44:11 PM
The deck on which one stands while showering...

Ok..iow, the sole (floor) in the head.  (Fwiw, flooring inside the cabin is called a "sole"..."decks" are the horizontal surfaces on the outside of the cabin).

You can use anything you want to use to clean the head sole inside or outside of any enclosed shower stall. If you don't have an enclosed shower, making sure to remove any standing water around the toilet is far more important than what you use to clean the sole...er "deck."
Peggie Hall
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

Lance Jones

Thanks all. I guess calling the "sole" a deck is a military thing. However, I would tend to humbly disagree with you Peggie on one point. I use to use a chlorine based cleaner on the "sole" and it eventually ate the seals on my drain pump. Ron, I like your idea and that fungus is the reason I'm asking. However, the bleach did cause issues with my drain pump.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Lazybone,
Have you used this product? If so, how easy is it to cut to fit the head? Looks interesting...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Peggie Hall

I dunno what you'd solve by installing a raised tile grid. That would only mean you'd have to clean the grid AND the sole unless you want to start a mold factory under the grid.

I come back to "use whatever you want"... if your previous experience seems to indicate that you don't want to use anything with bleach in it, find a product which kills fungus that doesn't have bleach in it. Or...rinse out the shower sump VERY thoroughly immediately after cleaning the floor so that bleach doesn't stay in it long enough to eat the rubber in the sump pump.

Whyizzit that men have to  make simple things so complicated??? :roll:
Peggie Hall

lazybone

Quote from: Lance Jones on March 02, 2011, 06:33:57 AM
Lazybone,
Have you used this product? If so, how easy is it to cut to fit the head? Looks interesting...

No, I just happened to stumble on it while looking for something else.   I did tire of cleaning that "floor" though and fabricated a slat teak insert "floor" to hide it.
Could work but I don't know? 
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Peggy, ANY grating on the sole/deck (especially if it gets WET) just lets all the junk collect and buggies to grow!
Ron, Apache #788

Peggie Hall

Ron Hill actually agreed with me?? :party  This calls for a celebration....Happy hour at my house, drinks are on me!!  :clown :clown...
Peggie Hall