startron fuel additive

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

i think i read somewhere on this site about putting Startron in to the racor fuel filter as a injector cleaner... How much half ???  thanks

Jeff Kaplan

kev, all good fuel conditioners clean the injectors, increase the cetane rating, disperse water and add lubricity to the fuel. I always add cond. to the fuel at each filling, not directly into the filter. If you add to the filter, than it will be used up immediately, where as if you add a good conditioner to the tank, it will mix with the fuel and do good things each time you run the engine. Put the cond. in first so it mixes with the fuel, wheher you fill at the dock or use jerry jugs, because if you pour the cond. after the fill, it will stay on top of the fuel, only getting slightly mixed when the boat heels back and forth. Brand names are crc diesel, power service, fppf, howes. Buy at a truck stop or where truck parts are sold and it will be cheaper than at a marine store or marina..I have sold fuel conditioners for years and am a proponent of its use, make sure the one you get states no alchohol in the mix...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ralph Masters

Good information for all, thanks Jeff

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Agreed,  :clap

Extenze for our engines.

( my wife swears it made our engine bigger)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Kev : Contrary to what Jeff says, I add mine to the new filter and the tank. By the time you bleed the filter (with the bleed knob) you've diluted it. 
Then I also add to the tank when I add fuel.

I found the best price at Walmart - for Power Service additive.
Ron, Apache #788

kevMar

Thank you for the info .... i will be putting the fuel tank back in the boat today .....

Jeff Kaplan

Kev,contrary to what Ron said, i gave you, and all, solid advice about how fuel condition mixes with fuel and that cond. should always be added to the fuel for best engine performance. If you want to add some to the racor, go for it, but remember, the first fuel to hit the injectors is in the primary filter, so if you already use fuel cond., with injector cleaner as one of its properties, its already there. You can add it to the primary filter after you do a filter change, but the small amount put in won't really make much of a difference. My point only was,  use a good conditioner all the time and the injectors will stay clean and the engine will run better. Also, before low sulfer diesel fuel was introduced, power service was the brand of choice for most of the truckers, but now ps live on name recognition only; FPPF, CRC Diesel, and Howes, are equally as good if not better products. I sell fuel conditioners as part of my living and have been invloved in the trucking industry for my entire working career...Jeff

kevMar

Great advice..   how often should i add the additive and should i use anything else ???

Jeff Kaplan

kev, add the cond. to the racor when you do a filter change, if you want, but add the cond. to the tank at each fill. The proper mix ratio is stated on the bottle, a little goes a long way. As stated before, keep the fuel conditioned, and if you have an older engine, pre low sulfer diesel, look for a conditioner that also increases the lubricity, along with, inj. cleaner, cetane booster and water disperant. Not rocket science, just good practice...Jeff

lazybone

I have a large bottle of Statron that I have been using for a while but has also been sitting on my shelf for a quite some time.  Is it alright to still use it or should I refresh it with some additive (new Startron)?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

lazybone

Materials Added To Fuel
All diesel sold in the United States is required to
contain effective detergent additives. Use of additional
detergents or other additives is not needed under normal
conditions and would result in unnecessary cost. Therefore,
you should not have to add anything to the fuel.

Excerpt from dodge diesel truck manual. Crap, must be because of all the polution control stuff on the new engines.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677