Bleading fuel lines- problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,

The right answer is probably already on the forum but maybe this boat is set up different?  Maybe not.
Hi,

I just replaced both fuel filter.   The Racor is on the input side of the fuel pump(normal?).   I started out with the vent on that open and would get no fuel.  So after noticing where the pump was I closed the vent and the bowl and filter filled up.   

I do notice that the pump sounds different than normal.   Of course I don't usually have  the doors all open.   It seems like normally it is more of a clicking rather than a purr. 

Anyway, I get no fuel to the engine.   I have the bleeding value open.   I was successful with that in the past.   As when I took the fuel tank out and cleaned it last fall.

It is always fun doing these things for the first time.   

Bob Mobley

Stu Jackson

Follow the links on this topic to good bleeding procedures:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5925.0.html

You do not need to open the vent on the Racor.  That only lets unwanted air into the system.

The Critical Upgrades topic (a sticky on the Main Message Board) says the right way to plumb the hose from the tank is: tank, Racor, pump, engine.

The purr on the pump occurs when the bleed knurled knob is open.  Close it and it should just be clicking more slowly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Bob Mobley on February 27, 2011, 12:10:05 PM

The Racor is on the input side of the fuel pump(normal?).   

Bob Mobley

Yes, the Racor is supposed to be on the input side.  That way it protects the pump from dirt and debris.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

lazybone

There's a filter in the pump too. Check that.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Bob : If your fuel plumbing is in the order mentioned by Stu - tank, Racor, electric fuel pump, engine - you don't have to worry about the filter in the fuel pump!!

I've always professed that people should change one filter at a time.  That way if the engine won't run/stay running you have only one thing to look at!!  a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Mobley

Hi again,

Everything is in that order.   Yes, next time, I will change one at a time.   

I read all the stuff I could find several times.   Seems like I am doing it right.   A friend will check it out with me tomorrow evening over a glass of wine.  Two heads are better than one.

:?

Ralph Masters

Two reasons for the Racor to be on the suction side, one to protect the pump from dirt, two so if you have a leak in the Racor you lose fuel suction and don't spray fuel  that could cause a flash fire.  That is the way we ran them in the navy.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Bob Mobley

Hi,

The solutions was suck the air out of the system completely.   :clap

lazybone

I'm hesitant to ask how you did this?

Wife, girlfriend or best friend...?