Hacksaw scratch (2) in strut

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

Sorry to have so many posts as of late and will try to make this my last inquiry for awhile but have a question regarding 2 scratches I inadvertantly made into one end of the strut with my hacksaw while removing the cutless. My question is should I fill the scratches with a product like silicone (or ???) before I press in the new cutless? I'm thinking it would probably not be a good thing for saltwater to make it's way in between the cutless and the strut if I don't fill the scratches first?

There are 2 small scratches that are less than an inch long and maybe 1/32" at the very deepest. I was going to make this my project tomorrow but will wait for some good advice before proceeding.

Thanks again!
Kirk
Kirk Garner

mainesail

Kirk,

Not a big deal water gets in there over time anyway. Just make sure there are no burrs. If it makes you feel better you can fill it with some cabosil thickened epoxy but do not sand away much if any of the strut as these are bearing press fit and we're talking .0001's... A few scratches won't hurt anything and you'd be amazed at some of the saw scratches I've seen over the years in struts.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

pablosgirl

Hi Kirk,

It is a good thing that you have made so many posts.  Please don't stop.  We all use this message board to solve problems and share information/experiences with our com-padres in arms.  This free exchange of information is what make this message board so great!  It also increases the value of our boats.  The only other one on the internet that comes close is the volvo site http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/FAQSummary1.html that I use to help me maintain my Volvo wagon.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

scotty

I also agree, Kirk.  Keep posting.  The different perspectives that people bring to this message board allows me to learn a lot.  Thanks for your involvement.
Scotty