1990 aft tank removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

Cory's thread about turning the aft water tank into a holding tank got me thinking about finally repairing mine.  It has a crack from before I purchased Donnybrook (1990 #1010, sugar scoop transom).

I read the other posts that say it's possible to remove, but am having trouble.  I removed the panels and hoses (vent, fill, drain) but can't work it around the cables.  I removed the port side piece of frame so it slides side to side but still can't get it around the cables.

I attached two pictures showing the space.  The tank can only lift a few inches because of the quandrant.  It won't move starboard due to the hull.  I have less than a foot to move it port.  It won't move aft because of the tank frame.  There is some play in the cables but they're pulled about as far as a dare in the picture. 

Ron or anyone else who has removed the tank:  Is this what you encountered?  How do I work the tank out?  I don't see where it'll come out with the cables in place, but want to verify before I give up and start disconnecting engine cables.

Converting space to storage?
The tank takes up a large space.  Similar to Cory, I haven't missed the fresh water capacity on the Great Lakes.  Has anyone considered leaving it out for easy access to the steering quandrant, or even using it for storage?  It looks to be 2-3 times the volume of the aft hanging locker.  A good size duffel bag or other personal items would fit nicely there.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
www.saildonnybrook.com

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Roland Gendreau

I've removed the aft tank from my C34 a couple of times and not had any issues getting the tank by the cables.

As I recalled, there was some slack in the cables so that I could move them a bit to port and then I was able to slide the starboard end of the tank through the opening ok.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ken Juul

I haven't removed mine, but I seem to recall reading that it is necessary to unscrew the output fitting from the bottom of the tank after the hose is removed because  there is not enough vertical clearance.  Also check to make sure the cables aren't spot tied under the bed platform preventing their movement.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve McGill

Kyle,

I removed mine last fall when I replaced my refer. I only had two cables to deal with, it appears you may have a few additional. I had to disconnect the engine control, but the transmission control had sufficient slack that I was able to lift the tank slightly and remove starting with the starboard side. I did not have too remove the center drain as there was enough room to lift the tank up the 3/4 inch while I turned it and pulled the starboard side out.

My experience........................

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Kyle Ewing

Thanks for the help!  I'll try removing the bottom fitting then the engine control cables next.  I have more play in the wiring so I should be okay.

Kyle
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

lazybone

Good time to tiddy up that wiring and protect it from movment (chafe).  :thumb:
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677