GORE GFO Packing Material

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on February 08, 2011, 11:29:31 AM
Yes, just the packing material. Can anyone tell me which size I need for my '88 SN 622?

Lance, if you do not want to measure what you need, then buy BOTH 1/4 and 3/16, figure out what works and return the unused material.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Stu,
Are you sure you're not Scottish?  :D
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Kirk Garner

My 88 has what appears to be 1/4" when I lay the old stuff out but Stu says most use 3/16" so I am going to go down in the morning for an actual measurement in the gland before I pull the trigger.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR SOUND ADVISE!

Kirk
Kirk Garner

Hawk

I will likely order both sizes but for interests sake emarine says 1/4" for a 1 inch shaft as per below:

Available sizes - 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" - accommodate most power and sail boats. Other sizes available on special order.

Buck Algonquin Bronze Packing Boxes are usually the following sizes and take the following packing size:

Shaft Size
3/4"-----
7/8"-----
1"-------
1-1/8"---
1-1/4"---
1-3/8"---
1-1/2"---
1-3/4"---
2"------- Packing Size
3/8"
5/16"
1/4"
3/16"
1/4"
5/16"
1/4"
1/2"
3/8"
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

mainesail

You guys are spending more than you need to.

Hamilton Marine sells Duramax Ultra-X for 1.68 ft in 3/16" http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/packing-ultra-x-3-16-sold-by-inch-or-box-420-176152-/4,34591,333.html

And in 1/4" for $3.00 per ft http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/packing-ultra-x-3-16-sold-by-inch-or-box-420-176152-/4,34591,333.html

Gore GFO from eMarine is $9.63 per foot in 1/4"...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ken Juul

For a reference point, last spring I did a total packing gland rebuild, new hose, clamps and thorough cleaning.  I had repacked with Gore GFO about 9 years ago.  When I disassembled, I was totally surprised to find that I had barely worn away about half of the first ring of packing, shaft was smooth and not worn.  I average 60-75 hours motoring a season.  The Gore GFO works and really helps keep the bilge dry....If the Duramax Ultra-X works just as well, go with it for much less $$
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Paul Blumenfeld

In my 1987 I used the 3/16" Gore GFO.  Has been working great for three years.

How often do other Gore users adjust or replace?

Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ken Juul

I generally adjust about 2 twice a year.  I could probably make it tighter and get away with once every season , but I am still running a bronze shaft, don't want to tighten too much for fear of wearing a groove in the shaft.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hawk

Ken,
Yours is a 1990 I believe. do you recall whether you used 3/16 or 1/4 Gore GFO?

Thanks
Hawk

Ron Hill

Lance & Guys : If you will look in your OWNERS MANUAL, I believe that it will tell you that packing is 3/16". 
Once again Catalina may have put in a 1/4" gland, but 99% of their production was with a 1 inch shaft that has a 3/16" packing gland nut!!

Lance : I've changed my packing in the water and many others have used my method and none of those C34s /C36s have sunk. 
Once again an airline ticket and per diem and I'll be more than happy to HELP !!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

We use 3/16 inch on our 1990 and check and adjust once per year (we use the boat for 3 months every summer) and store on the hard the rest of the year.  We have a SS shaft and keep the gland slightly above finger tight with no scoring.  Great stuff and no "burping" worries.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Hawk

Thanks Steve. And Ron I reviewed my manual more than once searching for the spec. It is not under the "Packing Gland" section nor any other that I can see. If it's in your manual, let me know under which heading  :thumb:
Hawk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on February 24, 2011, 01:22:48 PM
...I reviewed my manual more than once searching for the spec. It is not under the "Packing Gland" section nor any other that I can see. If it's in your manual, let me know under which heading. 

Page 40 of 66, in the PDF Mark I Owner's Manual, Manuals from the main C34 tech wiki page

http://www.c34.org/manuals/1988/1988-C34-Owners.pdf

The drawing of the stuffing box (packing gland) is quite good and shows 3/16" x 3/16".  Even with the FAQ about packing glands, I was able to understand how it all worked from this "cutaway" diagram.  "Aha, so that's how it works!?!"  Much easier, at least for me, to see the drawing rather than a long paragraph.  This is what prompted me to write the old FAQ, now a wiki, on the subject, which has also added a link to Maine Sail's great photo essay, and noted the article was written before e-marine came out with the gore, and the other materials Maine Sail noted earlier in this topic.  The 3/16" is mentioned in that, as well as 1/4".

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Stuffing_box_packing

Your boat, your choice.  Measure once, then write it down.  I've been working on only my second round of stuffing material in almost 14 years.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Clay

My 2006 MK11 uses 1/4" packing. The manual states what year they went to 1/4", but I don't have the date handy. We installed the Gore packing 1.5 years ago and are very happy, we now have a dry bilge. Adjusted once since installation
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Ron Hill

Guys : For MK I the packing gland info is on page 39 or diagram 4.4.2. 
Ron, Apache #788