GORE GFO Packing Material

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

What is the best online source to purchase GORE GFO packing material? I contacted the mfg and they gave me the name of a retailer here in WA State but they were not helpful when I contacted them.

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

dgill

First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Jim Hardesty

Kirk,
got mine at West Marine  $15.99   WM#8224651  Thats 1/4" I'm not sure if all 34s take the same size.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

prh77

You might want to do a little research on this stuff on the site. Mainsail, who has many posts and seems to know his stuff, was not impressed. My opinion; go with the conventional material, learn to adjust your stuffing box, and live with a little water in the bilge.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ted Pounds

I think most people on this site who have used the Gore packing are very happy with it.  I know I was.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Rick Johnson

I agree, I'm happy with Gore GFO and would not go back to the old conventional material!!!
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Quote from: prh77 on February 07, 2011, 05:03:38 PM
You might want to do a little research on this stuff on the site. Mainsail, who has many posts and seems to know his stuff, was not impressed. My opinion; go with the conventional material, learn to adjust your stuffing box, and live with a little water in the bilge.
Make sure you're not confusing the Gore packing with the moldable packing.
Many have expressed their dislike with it.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Summary of Issues

1.  MS has seen evidence of the black gore material spew all over from the gland.  Many others have not.  I haven't used it.

2.  I bought the $60 green goop 13 years ago and still have some left.  Most said it wasn't good and cost too much.  Compared to individual purchases of the gore, which had just been invented when I bought my goop, I've come out even or a little ahead.

3.  Be careful of the size.  Some have reported 1/4", most of us use 3/16".  You can measure your shaft and gland.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Quote from: prh77 on February 07, 2011, 05:03:38 PM

I am VERY impressed with both Gore GFO and Johnson Duramax Ultra-X. What I am not impressed with is the knock off product made by Western Pacific Trading and sold by West Marine.

Duramax Ultra-X is what I now use 90% of the time. Hamilton Marine sells it for next to nothing...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

mainesail

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 07, 2011, 07:48:16 PM
Summary of Issues

1.  MS has seen evidence of the black gore material spew all over from the gland.  Many others have not.  I haven't used it.

Absolutely not. I have seen the SynTef packing clay do that but NOT GFO or Ultra-X. I do not like the SynTef packing clay & lube and I could elaborate at length about why it is a bad idea but won't waste your band width.

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 07, 2011, 07:48:16 PM2.  I bought the $60 green goop 13 years ago and still have some left.  Most said it wasn't good and cost too much.  Compared to individual purchases of the gore, which had just been invented when I bought my goop, I've come out even or a little ahead.

That is exactly the stuff I don't like. But Gore GFO or Duramax Ultra-X are amazing packings.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Lance Jones

I know this may sound silly; but, does the boat need to be out to change the packing gland? Or, would Ron's(I think it was Ron) method of covering in plastic bags, work?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

mainesail

Quote from: Lance Jones on February 08, 2011, 07:28:46 AM
I know this may sound silly; but, does the boat need to be out to change the packing gland? Or, would Ron's(I think it was Ron) method of covering in plastic bags, work?

You can easily do it in the water but I would advise having done it at least once before on the hard so you know what to expect. I just wrap it in self amalgamating rigging tape if I hit a snag and need more time.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Quote from: Lance Jones on February 08, 2011, 07:28:46 AM
Lance,
Are you talking about replacing the whole packing gland or just the packing material? If doing the whole packing gland assembly, I'm pretty sure you would have to pull the boat out.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Maine Sail, thanks for the correction.

Stuffing Box tech wiki, also has a link to Maine Sail's excellent writeup:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Stuffing_box_packing

I've always done my repacking in the water.  Never bothered with covering the stern tube.  Boat's still afloat.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Yes, just the packing material. Can anyone tell me which size I need for my '88 SN 622?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622