Storing second propane tank

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I have just removed a reluctant Espar hydronic furnace unit from my MkII. Tearing out the furnace and valves, gallons of ant-freeze, the head tank, many many feet of wire and heater hose and three fan units gave me incredible pleasure. I am now moving on to install a beautiful Dickinson P12000 SS propane heater on the port side bulkhead above the settee. It will use under an amp per hour to run fan and solenoid and be simplicity itself...with a flickering romantic flame to boot!

So here is my question. I want to carry an extra 10lb aluminum propane tank and I wondered if anyone had come up with a good way of storing it. The options so far would include
- putting it on or even in (by cutting a 10 1/4" hole in the seat and creating a SS holder like the one for pop tins) one of the cockpit pushpit seats which I rarely use in the Pacific Northwest
- building a holder for it on one of the seats on the swim platform with a strap to retain it to the transom
- creating a longer outboard motor holder hung from the rail (since I mostly use the heater after I have put the outboard away for the fall and winter) to which I could strap the tank.

Any and all ideas gratefully received
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

cmainprize

Hi John
I mounted a second tank under our stern perch seats as you mentioned.  I was only able to get a 5lb tank under the seat.  The distance from the bottom of the starboard seat to the transom is only around 12 inches.  I built a box out of starboard that holds the tank and cut a hole in the seat so I can turn the tank on and off and put another hole in the side of the box for the line.  I put a 10 inch beckson plate in the seat.  The tank just fits through the hole.  I use this tank to feed my BBQ.  I plan on building another box for the port side seat. 

I don't have any pictures but I will try and remember to take some next time I am at the boat.

Only 96 more days until the boat goes back in the water. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

waterdog

Here's another option  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5248.0.html    It increased capacity 4x and freed up space in the aft locker through elimination of the box.   Tested through 5000 miles and works great. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Rick Johnson

I was thinking about trying something like this for my Dickinson P-9000.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/railmountbracketassembly.aspx

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

John Langford

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions.

I don't think I need anything quite as elaborate as Steve's very robust arrangement and I can't quite go where Cory suggests because I need an arrangement that will allow me to swap one ten pound tank for another...so the 5lb solution won't work. I really liked the device that Rick suggested but it only accommodates a 6lb tank. The design is intriguing and I am thinking of possibly getting something like it built locally...but I bet it won't be $90!

I may also experiment dropping the tank into one of the pushpit seats. I would remove the existing starboard seat and temporarily replace it with a piece of plywood with a 10 1/4 " round hole in it and some sort of ss strap arrangement to allow the tank to drop down about 8-9". This would still leave about 7" of tank showing above seat level. My boat buddies are not very supportive of this idea as they hate the idea of compromising the cockpit seat. The problem is that I am running out of places to put the tank. One of the swim platform seats has a radar post on it and the other one is restricted by the outboard hanging down from the rail and the AC power port.

Ah well, I am sure that I will come up with something. Thanks again
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ted Pounds

You could put it anywhere below deck as long as it is an air-tight locker that is vented overboard from the bottom (because propane is heavier than air).  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

How about the closet in the rear cabin? The tank and vent would have to be above the water level. From there you could use the original vent on the transom. That is of course if you can mount it in a airtight box that you can still access a way to change bottles.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

I'm not that familiar with the MKII layout, but I think your current propane locker is in the Stbd coaming just forward of the stern perch seat.  Is it possible to duplicate it in the port coaming?  In this picture I found on Yachtworld it looks like you would just have to lower or move the manual bilge pump.  Depending on amount of space, it might be easier to use a propane locker like in the MK1 than recreate the MKII set up.  Another thought, you can probably install a MKI propane locker made by Seward.   Seaward, Propane, LPG, Locker Kit, 2.5 Gallons, w/ Solenoid. Easy to install and change tank. Vents with hose to overboard fittings that would have to be installed.  You could probably easily fit one in the Lazarette.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Here's what a dock mate on a Tartan 37 did
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Stu, I'm starting my version of the propane project this weekend.  Any chance to see a picture of the other side of what your dock mate did?  I'm curious about the arrangement of the shut-off solenoid, regulator, gauge and hoses.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ted Pounds

Rick,
From what I can see it looks like Stu's dockmate just uses that as storage for spare cylinders.  Neither tank appears to be hooked up.  He probably has the tank that's in use in a propane locker hidden below.  Just my guess...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

He was going to go to Mexico two or three years ago when he did this.  The black hose is the supply to the stove down below, the gray lines appear to be electrical wiring to a solenoid.  He'd simply disconnected the supply hose to both tanks.  When I learn to walk on water I'll get a shot of the other end.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Ken,

The MK II propane locker is in the same place as MK I.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ken Juul

Thanks Steve...what is the purpose of the locker circled in red?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

Ken,

That's the propane locker on a MK II.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop