MK I vs. MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

drcam1

The responses on this forum are one of the BEST selling points of this boat!  Thank you all for your input.  Fantastic information!

The reason I asked about single-handling differences was the wider cockpit and the ability to get to the sheets and the traveller lines (ie. if things were more within reach on the older boat)

I like the more classic look of the older boat but the boarding functionality of the newer transom.  I do have some younger crew members, and it looks like they would have an easier time steering from the elevated aft seat on the older model.

I do plan on using an asymmetrical spinnaker (considering an add on bowsprit by sparcraft).  I don't believe either model is currently rigged to fly an A-sail.

I have no doubt that once I find a boat, this forum will become even MORE useful!

Thanks again to all.

Cameron

Ken Juul

Accept the fact that there will be issues with either boat that will need to be taken care of.

When we were shopping we did a list of wants and don't wants.  After looking for a while we narrowed it down to the C34 or C36 with a walk tru transom.  The decision was made one day at a boat show, we were able to compare them side by side.  The Admiral said the C34 was the boat.  It really should be a family decision after you both give the  possible choices a try.

We are very happy with our choice, we prefer the styling of the MK1, but that is a personal choice.  It is something you have to decide for yourselves.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael Shaner

QuoteI do have some younger crew members, and it looks like they would have an easier time steering from the elevated aft seat on the older model.

Cameron,

The "hump" seat performs very well for the older crew members as well! We graduated from a C25...tiller and all. Initially, I couldn't figure out why the C34 helm seat was coutoured until the first time we were heeling her nicely and I wanted to sit down!  8)

Later I learned with the autohelm, I could sit almost anywhere...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

And, then, there is the almost unique little "lifts" on the side of the aft cockpit sole that lets one stand up straight when heeled.  I just love the details on our Mark I.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Asbury

Bought a '91 C34 in '05 and traded up to an '05 C34 last year.  If I had to do it over I would have 'bit the bullet' and bought the newer boat to begin with.  Fewer maintenance issues (none so far on the '05 with only 300 engine hours) and there have been a good many changes and improvements in the C34 over the years, so my suggestion is to buy the newest boat you can afford---even if you have to stretch a bit financially---and have faith that you will be able to make the money to pay for it.  I was too conservative.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Bill is not the only two-C34 owner.  Among others our tech editor John Nixon is on his second one, as is Bob Englehart here in Fleet 1.  We, too, had that $$ factor to make in 1998 when we bought Aquavite.  Back then a new boat cost twice what we paid for our boat.  We couldn't justify that difference and our personal preference was for the wood finishes, having had a 1981 C22 and a 1981 C25.

A five or six year old boat will need maintenance, too, if even only for replacement of all the water hoses.

Any other "second" C34 owners out there?  I'll check my old secretary reports, 'cuz there have been a few more that I've reported.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

We have an 87 and love it, bought it in August.
I was able, via this website, to find information on the boat from two owners back, so I was able to make a decision based on history of upkeep. 
The survey is VITAL.  Although the PO took good care of the boat, and the one before did the critical updates, there was still a laundry list from the survey that needed doing.  But they were not show stoppers and I have since completed about 70 percent of those, so the boat is in better condition now over all.
We find the 34 to be perfect for our weekend outtings.  Just the two of us, I think if there were kids involved you'd need more boat.
If we ever decide to move up we'd jump on a 42 two cabin with the forward pullman berth.
Get the stern perch seats, worth every penny.....................

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Hull 367
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

Ralph,
We found our 34 to work just fine for our family of 5 (2 boys and a girl).  We used to take week-long trips around Lake Michigan.  Of course when I was in the Air Force and it was just the 2 of us we thought we were living large on a C25...  :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Indian Falls

There's a fella in Buffalo NY selling cockpit cushions (new) on ebay for 525.00

http://stores.ebay.com/Sea-Wizard-Boat-Accessories
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

MattGeorge

This is an old thread and I haven't read page 2 BUT ... I have an interesting story.  And to cut to the end real quick:  The Salon in the Mark 1 is actually Bigger than the Salon in the Mark 2.

How do I know?

I've owned 2 Mark 1's ... and I salivated for years on the Mark 2.  The open transom was the main attraction for me (not the stern rail seats ...I'll give you a nice secret on those in a second).

One day I managed to get on board a Mark 2.... and for some reason to me ... I felt just a tad claustrophobic .... I couldn't explain it.  Later at a Catalina retreat at Two Harbors (Catalina Island) ... I asked none other than Gerry Douglas himself... who said I was wrong.  He said there was no difference between the 2.

I was stunned ... I got back on the Mark 2 a week later .... and I couldn't shake it ... I had spent YEARS on board my mark 1 and why was it the mark 2 felt smaller?!?!?

And then I found out why.  The salon MAY be the same overall cubic feet ...but in an effort to make the salon match the curves of the transom ..the interior has similar curvatures.  Most notably the port settee.

Very easy and simple thing to do ... go to yacht world ... grab ANY photo of the salon looking forward from the steps.... on both the Mark 1 and Mark 2.  You'll notice what I did.   Move your eyes all the way to the door to the v-berth... now go down and left.

See the floor?  ... .it's FLAT on the mark one.... not only that ...the Settee itself is STRAIGHT.

on the Mark 2?  The floor starts to curve up (im guessing the reason is the salon itself was moved forward a tad but that doesn't make sense since the compression post SEEMS to be in the same spot).

On the Mark 2 ...the port front floor AND the port Settee curves inward on you.

I labored for years about getting the Mark 2 ... not anymore.

Buying another Mark 1 soon.

oh ... and about the Stern Rail seats?  Pro tip ...if you can find stern rail seats from the C32 ...they fit .... perfectly.  I've done it twice now.

:)

Ron Hill

Guys : I have never owned a MKII, but have been on one many times during the day. 

My biggest complaint is that the Vberth is SMALLER. When you consider that you spend a sizable number of hours (half of the time you are on the boat!!) in the Vberth, I afraid that I would consider a trade from a MK I to a MKII C34, as a trade DOWN!!!

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I too have felt the same about the interior volume of the salon between the two boats.  As mentioned by Matt, I also noted the difference in the floor at the V berth door.  I have what I believe to be the best of both worlds: a mark 1.5.  This has the walk through transom, and the larger engine.  Those two features alone make it work for me better than a mk2.  If I were to buy a C36, it would definitely be a mk2.  However, I personally prefer my mk1.5 over the mk2 in the C34.  I do miss the lazzerette storage of a non walk through transom. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Sundance

I've owned both, 1989 MKI Fin keel and a 2001 MKII Wing.  Pretty much agree with everything mentioned here.  I feel the MKI performed better, but if cruising is your style, the MKII can't be beet with the huge cockpit and walkthrough transom. Basically everything you need to "upgrade" on the MKI has already been done on the stock MKII.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Patches

I was concerned with the "transom slap" which might accompany the Mark II models.  Having spent more than a few nights in late model charter boats with wide swim steps, I grew to hate the "slap, slap, slap" that accompanied any wave action in the anchorage.  I liked the relatively raised and pointy stern of my Mark 1.25.  I'm not sure that is actually a problem on the Mark IIs, as I otherwise appreciate a lot of the upgrades made on that model.  Would actually like to hear from any Mark II owners if that is an issue at all.

I also like my Mark 1.25 because I have space for my Engel 45 fridge/freezer on the "seat" in the aft cabin.  On the Mark IIs they put a closet there.  It is close by, yet out of the way, and means I don't have to lose leg room under the chart table or salon table.

Patches

scgunner

An old thread, but still an interesting topic. It would have been nice if Cameron (OP) had let us know what he finally wound up doing. Since he's only posted 11 times if he did end up buying a boat I'd guess it probably wasn't a C34, maybe not a Catalina at all.

My two cents, Mk1 or Mk2 they're both really nice boats, you'll just have to decide for yourself which one works best for you.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273