Ritchie SP-5 Compass

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

I read a couple of days ago a post about the overhaul and repair of the SP-5 compass.  I just sent mine in off Ciao Bella, hull 367, and the cost to replace the bowl and refurbish is $198.00, which includes return shipping.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Bobg

My compass is loosing fluid, it is about half gone, I get conflicting information, some say they (Richie) will fix it for nothing and some say they charge for their servicing as in your case
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ralph Masters

Contact Ritchie directly at cdixon@ritchienavigation.com they are very supportive.  I took the compass into WM and they really could not be bothered.  They would gladly sell me a new 700 dollar compass but not muck around with an old one.

$198.00 fully reconditioned, not bad if you've priced them out.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Tom Glennon

I brought my compass to Ritchie personally, as the fluid was half gone.
They did a total refurbish, and it cost me about $180.
I don't think they would do it for nada unless it was fairly new, and had an obvious flaw in production.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ralph Masters

180 is pretty good, I guess the extra 18 I paid is for the return shipping.  Still a better deal then WM offered.

The pessimist complains about the wind,
The optimist expects  it to change,
The realist adjusts the sails.
--William Arthur Ward
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

scotty

The fluid was half gone .....

The pessimist, the optimist and the realist....

an optimist might have said it was half full???

Just a thought!! :?
Scotty

tonywright

For those who sail in the north, best way to prevent the loss of fluid is to take off your compass and store it in the warm for winter (it is very easily removed). I learned this the hard way on another boat.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ralph Masters

Thanks for the tip.  Mine just started to get a small bubble in it and the next thing I knew it was half empty.  After the fluid drained you could see a lot of small cracks in the dome aroung the base and in the area where the light bracket sits on top.  I think mine was just old age, living in San Diego se don't have what one would call "harsh" winters.  For us anything below 48 is getting harsh.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Just a quick update on the repair of the Ritchie compass.  The invoice showed a cost of $182.00 for the repair and $16.00 for shipping, total of $198.00.  At least now we can find our way.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

waterdog

Another update on the Ritchie Compass servicing.  Mine was badly cracked and lost its fluid.   I called Ritchie and ordered parts.  A new dome with O ring and an O ring for the filler plug was a grand total of $58.64 including shipping to Canada.   Replacement takes only a few minutes.   A cheaper option than sending in for service. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

lazybone

Steve,  you didn't mention anything about the fluid?  What the heck do they fill them with?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

waterdog

Quote from: lazybone on March 12, 2011, 08:34:49 AM
Steve,  you didn't mention anything about the fluid?  What the heck do they fill them with?

Magic compass fluid. only $150 / pint at WM.    :D

"The right refill fluid for Ritchie compasses
If you ever need to refill or top off the fluid in your Ritchie compass, the manufacturer recommends Isopar L, an odorless, colorless, refined synthetic fluid. Its low viscosity promotes quick swinging. Won't freeze or boil off at temperatures from -40º to 200º F., and it may be mixed with the mineral oil already in compasses made before 2001.
Sold by the pint or the quart"
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

lazybone

150 a pint?  :shock:

It better taste really good.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

Under 60 bucks for the same thing I paid almost 200 for.  WOW, you did very well on that.  I'm still fine tuning the adjustment on the compass swing.  Got it to with in about 5 degrees east west and 3 north south I think.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

waterdog

I am not sure that we paid for the same thing. You had a full factory service - I just got a new dome and seals.  But in the last 6000 miles, i am sad to say, I have not even checked the deviation.  A compass is more decoration for me.   It used to be a vital piece of navigation gear. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat