180 degree thermostat

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

SPLETS,
Is your boat on a lake in the Phoenix area? I see you're from Gilbert,AZ
I live in Peoria and have sailed alot of the lakes in my previous C22.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

SPLETS

Yes, I have my boat at Roosevelt Lake, I keep it in dry storage.

Paulus

We sail Lake Michigan and Lake Huron(North Channel).  I did not notice any difference in performance.  The only change was the temperature inside of the engine room.  This is a very confined space with very little air flow over the engine unlike a tractor(M25xp)  It takes my engine 20-30 minutes to reach 160.  The greatest difference in performance was having the injectors cleaned and adjusted.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ralph Masters

I run in San Diego in 58 - 62 raw water and rarely get the engine temp above 145 at 2000 RPM.  I do not have coolant supplied water heater.  My engine is a MX25 and never misses a beat.

Ciao Bella - 367
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Hot water temps at 125 or higher can burn rather quickly, especially children.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Craig Illman

I mitigated the scalding risk by adding a tempering valve at the hot water tank.

mainesail

Quote from: lazybone on January 20, 2011, 08:46:08 AM
Hot water temps at 125 or higher can burn rather quickly, especially children.

Tell me about it. I am in the loop on the issue discussing engine heated water heaters with the ABYC right now. Please send John Adey, he's the ABYC technical director, jadey@abycinc.org any cases or reports of scalding or burns that you have or know about so we can build a good evidence case for changing the requirement for regulating the temperature on engine heated water heaters...

I have been fighting for well over a year to get this into PTC committee and get the standard to require tempering valves on heaters that are directly connected to an engine added. Iso-Temp for example ships tempering valves as standard equipment as should EVERY manufacturer. It should be illegal, not just an ABYC suggested requirement, to sell ANY heater than can be heated off engine coolant that could get to 130 degrees or more. This would NEVER be allowed in residential and commercial plumbing codes and is not.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) suggests users set their water heaters to 120 degrees F or less.
Keep in mind that adults can sustain third-degree burns if exposed to just 150 degree water for only 2 seconds! At 160 degrees you are down to less than half a second to sustain a second or third degree burn! Even a six-second exposure to just 140 degree water can scald or burn.

Please support this important SAFETY change to the ABYC standards by emailing John Adey your concerns and asking for temperature REGULATED hot water heaters when intended to be heated off engines. The ABYC is evidence based and most folks don't have a clue as to why they got burned or scalded and just accept it rather than report it. My nephew was badly scalded on our 2005 Catalina 310 and I now take this quite seriously...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

SPLETS

Thanks all!  I replaced the thermostat and the water got about 20 degrees warmer, but still not hot.  It gets down into the 30's at night and only 65-70 during the day right now in Arizona, so I guess as soon as I start to use it, more real cold water is entering the water heater and cools it down pretty fast? I'll bet when the temp heats up, the water will be much warmer.  It took about 25 minutes under load to hit 180.