Max-Prop - good or bad

Previous topic - Next topic

rirvine

I am looking to replace my fix 3 blade prop with a Max-Prop  15" by 9.   Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about them?  I have search the site and found nothing about them.   Thank youa

Jentine

For considerably less money, you can produce the same results.  A flex-o-fold is $750 for the two blade and $1275 for the three blade.

Bill Sedgwick

I've had no problems. My cruise speed is the same as before with my 3 bladed prop but at approx 500 rpms higher - however the engine turns approx 500 rpms higher now so the top end is about the same. I normally expect 7.1 kts at 2350 rpms when motoring ('90 M35 engine). I took the recommendations of the prop shops and boat yards here in San Diego who all recommended Max Prop. I bought from PYI and have been satisified. Yes, part of the shaft needs to be cut. But since I don't expect to reinstall the 3-blade prop it is no problem. Reverse power is immediate and just like forward. It's very easy to stop the boat.
Drag while sailing is hard to measure - I'm sure it's less but I can only say that my light air performance seems improved. The prop's beautiful and is installed on Swans and other very expensive yachts. I believe that the cost is the only negative I can report.
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

cholder

On my Universal 25XP the Kobota number is on the horizonal surface, starboard of the fuel injector pump.

rirvine

To close the story on this, Crew’s Nest now has a new Max Prop plus a stainless steel prop shaft.  I had to drop the rubber to get the new shaft in â€" major project to say the least.  Getting the old one out was easy - I cut it into two pieces.

For those who have not had their props off the shaft for some time, you might want to check for corrosion between the prop and the shaft.  Even with good zinc maintenance, I had enough to require a shaft replacement â€" could be the Santa Cruz water.

The different between the old and the new is greater than I ever expected â€" on the positive side.   First the new prop and shaft are balanced and the slight vibration that has been a puzzle for some time while motoring has completely gone.  I have worked on this vibration for some time â€" engine mounts, coupler alignment but none made any difference.  The speed V’s engine rev’s is also much improved over the standard issue 3 blade prop from Catalina.  The boat also goes backwards with some confidence â€" Max-Prop grabs the water the same it does going forward.

All in all  - expense but worth the dollars.

rappareems

I put in a flex-o-fold three blade this Spring and couldn't be more pleased. Consider it at about $1275.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ken Juul

Moored in the Chesapeake, I find myself diving to scrub the prop about once a month.  At the recent east coast rendevous I talked with the flex-o-fold dealer about growth problems.  He avoided my question by saying..."buy our antifoul goop and use the boat more...then it won't be a problem".  I am considering one, but am worried the growth will foul the folding gears.  Have you had any problems?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA