Folding Wheel and Autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

Hi
My wife bought me a folding wheel for xmas (gotta love her).  When I was looking at it I noticed it is slightly convex/concave depending what side you look at.  Has anyone put a wheel drive autopilot on one of these wheels.  I was wondering if it is going to an issue or if fits with no modification.

Thanks in advance
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Momentum M

Hi, you didn't say the brand of the wheel but since I know of only Lewmar I'll assume it is.  I've had mine for a few years and it's an easy installation and the auto pilot will work no problem.  The only small modification is that the folding wheel as 6 spokes vs yours that probably has 5 so you'll have to relocate the brackets (the "U" shape one that hold the AP wheel to the spokes)..but you'll be drilling in plastic so it's not a big job... time needed: one beer!!!
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

jfssail

Hi, I put a Lewmar folding wheel on a few years back. My autopilot is  the ST4000. I had to make a couple of modifications to the U brackets that clamp to the wheel spokes.

First, the spokes on the folding wheel have a larger diameter, so some filing is required on the plastic bracket holders.

Second, you will have to insert two 1/8 " washers (spacers) between each U bracket and the ST4000 on the wheel. I picked up some 3/4" dia. flat neoprene  fawcett washers  at ACE hardware. Otherwise, the two pieces on the wheel that snap together keep coming apart. This happened to me at the start of my annual two month trip to the North Channel a few years back. Problem disappeared with the washer-spacers.
The only other problem I have with the new wheel is you have to constantly hand  tighten the two vinyl clamps that allow the wheel to fold.

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH     
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

mainesail

We have a Raymarine S1-G wheel pilot and it fits the Lewmar folding wheel just fine with no modifications.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/