bow cleat style?

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

A new thread so as to avoid hijacking the other one. Has anyone used the heressoff style cleats? I have two SS 8 inchers and their footprint is a little wider than the aluminum since it features 4 bolts instead of two. It looks like there is barely enough width. Would sure feel better to hear that someone has done this before I start drilling. Thx

2ndwish

From the lower photo in: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6042.0.html, you can get a good idea of the space available on the 1987 MKI. You can use the bolt size (5/16) or the bolt separation (2-3/4") or the bolt separation of the pulpit base, for scale. We had the same concern about the 4-bolt pattern, which is why we went with the 2-bolt variety. I've seen other C34s with the 4-bolt base, but I don't recall the year. I would caution you not to take another boat as a measure of your own, since there is obvious variation even within a model year. When we were laying out our bow project, we noticed the port-starboard pulpit bases differ in their distance from the bow by the better part of an inch!
T

Ron Hill

GP : What is a Heressoff style cleat.  Is it like your center bow cleat - 4 bolts?  
In 1989 C34s they went to two larger side bow cleats of the type - I'd call power boat cleats.
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

On my 1987 model, I removed the center cleat and installed port and starboard schaefer 8" stainless steel cleats with oversized washers (one inch I believe). These cleats have two bolts and the installation of these was very tight. Prior to deciding how to proceed, I read all the threads related to this installation and getting to the two bolts was difficult. I did not have to install any new beckson ports, I was able to reach the port and starboard positions with difficulty, and dropped the nuts and washers a few times into the forward bilge. It is my belief that four bolt cleats will not fit in this location because remember you still need some kind of backing plate or large washers. Catalina used smaller washers than I used. These cleats looked so nice that I replaces the stern cleats as well. If you do this upgrade, make sure you use at least 8" cleats.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ted Pounds

Ron, yes those are Herreshoff cleats.  As long as they have good backing they are much stronger than the 2 bolt cleats.  Especially with lateral pull mainly due to more and shorter bolts.  I think that was discussed in Practical Sailor a few  years back.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

John Sheehan

Our 34 has 10" four bolt cleats and I need every bit of the 10 inches when I secure her with the multiple lines for hurricane preparation.  If you can fit the 10" cleats They would be a good investment along the Gulf.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

mainesail

Quote from: gwp on December 13, 2010, 09:12:27 AM
A new thread so as to avoid hijacking the other one. Has anyone used the heressoff style cleats? I have two SS 8 inchers and their footprint is a little wider than the aluminum since it features 4 bolts instead of two. It looks like there is barely enough width. Would sure feel better to hear that someone has done this before I start drilling. Thx

Did this on my C36 using Herreshoff style stainless cleats. The new Catalina's use similar cleats though with less meat.

These Herreshoff style cleats came from Hamilton Marine and took my 7/8" Yale Polydyne Pendants with no problem.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

gwp

Nice pic mainsail. It will definately work on a 36. Anyway...it looks like this is doable. Thx for the info. Will post results

Ron Hill

GP : The major difference between my Schaeffer 8 " cleats and the ones that Mainsail mounted is :
that mine are attached with two 3/8" bolts that are screwed in from the bottom side (1/4" lexan backing plates).  I have no exposed bolt heads. 
Ron, Apache #788