C34 sales and questions for new owners

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

A couple years ago in an attempt to grow the C34IA I started monitoring Yachtworld.com for C34 sales pending notifications.  When a notification popped up I would send the broker an email with an invitation for the new owners to visit the website and join the assoc.

New Owners:
Did you get the invitation?

If yes, did you know about the website/assoc before recieving it?

Did you join the C34IA or just become website members?

If you didn't join the Assoc, what can we change to increase membership?

Just curious if I should continue sending the invitations and we are always looking for ways to increase membership.

FYI, so far in 2010, there have been 54 used C34's listed as sales pending, I have no visibility of how many actually closed the deal.  I only send the invitation to buyers of used boats because new buyers automatically get the first year of membership paid by the dealer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

Ken I think it is a great idea to reach out ot potential members this way.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

DarthOccam

We closed the deal on our C34 in early October.   The boat was listed on Yachtworld.com, but we purchased from Catalina in Ventura as the boat had been a trade-in.

No, we didn't get an invitation from Catalina.  Yes, we were aware of the website/association, and searched the forum as part of the due-diligence process before buying. 

So far, just a website/forum member.  Considering becoming a full member.  The major reason we haven't (and I'm sure the other members will relate) is that purchasing a boat is expensive and we've been trying to prioritize the must-haves from a safety and operational point of view.  Since the boat is fairly new (2005 with <150 hrs) and we're deferring a lot of enhancements, becoming a member is on the "B" list.
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Kevin Henderson

Great idea Ken, to look for ways to keep the membership vibrant. :clap
I am a new owner as of September (Pau Hana #791).
I did not receive an invitation because I had purchased my boat from a private seller.  I can tell you however, that without the invaluable information in this forum, I would not have had the confidence of knowledge about the C34 to "go it alone". 8)
I had known about the association and website for a couple years prior to my purchase but honestly felt that joining the association without owning the boat seemed awkward.
However, I joined the association immediately after the purchase of Pau Hana. :clap
I think its a great idea to continue the invitations.
The one thing I wish is that there were an active Fleet here in the San Diego area.  There seems to be a lot of C34's in the area and it would be nice to meet other owner/association members in person and discuss issues, solutions and ideas.... plus get some good sailing in :santa
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

horsemel

Darth O Cam,
You are right, buying a boat is expensive and can put a crimp on the budget.  But, joining this group is really cheap for the hundreds of bucks you will save in one year.  I am not kidding.  If it were not for this site I would have been paying many bucks to professionals to do what I have done myself.  Put membership here on your 'A' list.  Welcome to the 34 club!
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

scotty

Like DarthO and Pau Hana, I am a recent buyer (July).  I bought from an individual owner so I got no invitation, but I think the invitations are a great idea.  Keep up the good work, Ken. 

Whether you join now or later,  this group is a great way to get up to speed.  I did join, and really was stoked to get my Mainsheet magazine.  I've only done three projects so far, a muffler replacement, lazy jacks, and (currently) an anchor system upgrade.  I also know that I need to do an engine wireing harness upgrade (critical upgrades).  In all of these cases I have gotten a lot of help from both archived records and from on-line discussions.  When I look at it that way, the membership fee ($25) was money well spent.  But hey, you spend it when it seems right to you - no problem!  So, welcome aboard to my fellow newcomers.  Lisa and I are totally in love with our new boat, and I hope you are too!!
Scotty

Exodus

My broker did forward me the e-mail that you sent him.  I had already been visiting the website for several months prior and was already planning to join the association.

Stephen Butler

One boat's opinion, but any owner not joining the association is simply throwing their money away in unnecessary costs.  We kept track of our costs for the first 3 years of ownership and the data from the association, saved us just short of $5,000.  Knowing where to go for a part rather than an entire assembly, pointers that allow maintenance that would have required an "expert", contact numbers for some real answers, etc., etc....makes for some big savings.  If you are not already a member, suggest you join.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ken Juul

Darth,
My records show no 2005 boats sold in Sep/Oct.  They must not have listed it as sale pending, so no invitation was sent.  Glad you found us on your own.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

DarthOccam

I'm convinced the C34IA membership is a great deal, so it's not a matter of if, but of when.  I suspect that I'll come across an issue or opportunity soon that will push it into the "A" list.  Or it may end up as a Christmas present  :santa.

I don't know how Catalina handled the sale.  It was pretty informal and fast, so they may never have bothered to list it as "pending" on the site.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Stu Jackson

Here's how the system worked for new boats:

When new Catalina 34s were produced, Catalina would send us (the C34IA Secretary) a check for the first year membership assigned to a particular hull #.  Catalina Yachts would then also eventually send us the paperwork that the new owners filled out at the dealership with their name and address, once the boat was sold.  These forms were sent by the dealer back to Catalina, and then on to us. We would then send the new owners the first year membership package.  The dealer did not really have involvement, per se, in the magazine distribution, the C34IA did it with the prompting from Catalina Yachts.

Ken's idea to involve the dealers in sales of used boats is a very good one.  We tried it here in the San Francisco Bay area directly with Farralone Yachts, and essentially got little or no response.  They were too busy selling new boats, and while they had many used C34s over the years, simply couldn't be bothered with additional work that got them no benefit.  I could understand it from their point of view as businessmen.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

BlueWind

Ken,

We bought our boat in August '09 and the broker (in Oriental, NC) told me about the association. I believe he said he'd been contacted by the association and asked to pass on the invitation. I joined the association a few days later. It's been beyond invaluable. I continue to be intimidated by the knowlege and experience on the boards, but also impressed that so many seasoned captains spend so much of their time to educate the rest of us. That's makes C34 a great community.

Carl

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Ken,
While not a new owner, I can honestly say that I'd have been lost without the C-34IA. Everyone helped guide me through my early days as a new owner. Anything we can do to attract new members is worth the effort. Why haven't we done Facebook yet?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622