Washing Running Rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I saw an article in PS about washing ropes but cannot find it. What was the deal; are they suppose to be washing in a bag?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jim Hardesty

Cliff,
I've washed lines in the mesh laundry bags, and just soaked in a tub.  Both with little soap and a lot of rinse and fabric softener.  They do come out cleaner and softer.  I think there was a great article in "Good Old Boat" mag a couple of years ago.  They not only washed but tested before and after with and without the fabric softener.  If I remember correctly, the bottom line was washing and fabric softener was good for appearance and handling, but old line lost strength.
I wash my dock lines yearly, and my running rigging only when it needs it.  But thats sailing in fresh water.  Sailing with salt spray would be more often.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

David Sanner

Reading up on fabric softener.  Sounds like it might weaken new
lines but adds strength (through lubrication) to older lines.

Founds a few quotes like this around the web:
"Tests by Smith (1988) indicate that treatment with concentrated fabric softener reduced the strength of a new rope but
Frank (1989) showed that certain ropes treated with dilute softener (per manufacturer's recommendations) were stronger than the same rope without softening, after aging and washing.
Frank reported that the likely mechanism at work explaining these results, is that the fiber lubricants contained in new rope are lost with age, allowing the fibers to cut one another. Fabric softener replaces some of the lubricants. Excess softening leaves the rope effectively wet, with the corresponding loss in strength."

The NewEngland Ropes website says this: http://www.neropes.com/LineCare.aspx
Dirt and salt can cause premature wear. Frequently wash rope and running rigging with fresh water. For a more thorough cleaning, soak your rope in warm water mixed with a mild detergent. Add a small amount of fabric softener to soften the rope. When possible, use a front loading washing machine; wash your rope in a mesh bag or pillowcase to avoid tangling. Rinse thoroughly and hang to dry in indirect sunlight. Note: the washing of new / unused rope should be performed by hand wash only.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Kind of a misspelled funny on this topic.

When we first started this message type board, the topic of washing the dock/anchor lines came up.

One respondent said that after washing his lines he hung them out on his "DICK" (rather than deck) to let them dry. 
The ladies really gave him a bunch of "remarks" on that one!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Heyman

so he is currently using his deck ?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il