Should we purchase a 34' Catalina yacht????

Previous topic - Next topic

larry johnson

We own a 29' Ericson (1971) and we are ready to upgrade. We very much like the layout of the 34' 1988 Catalina, wing keel, but we have never sailed a Catalina. We would like input from Catalina owners as to how this boat performs under sail. Would also like to know how difficult it is to get a wing keel off a grounding situation. Are there drawbacks that we should be aware of? Some people seem to feel that the 36' Catalina has more room than the 34', but to us the layout of the 34' seems to make it feel roomier. Comments?? Please help. Thank you. Larry Johnson (linlarsrhnj@aol.com)

Stu Jackson

Larry

If you haven't already, please read the FAQ section of this website, and many of your questions have been addressed.  Since you've gotten as far as this message board, I assume you've read some of the webiste information.

The most applicable part of the FAQ section, in response to your questions, is "Why We Bought the Boat."  That sums up most of the questions you've asked.

I agree with you about the apparent room below between a C36 and our C34s.  I also didn't particularly like having to work my way past the galley sinks on the 36 to get inside the boat, and the aft head on the C34 is one of its best interior design ideas.

We have a fin keel, so I can't answer your questions about groundings, and don't know what kind of water you plan to sail in.  Like all groundings, regardless of keel configuration, it would seem appropriate to keep groundings to a minimum!  (Yup, I can say that, but can I do it?!?)

The boat is a dream under sail in all kinds of conditions.  We sail San Francisco Bay, and I've been out in the ocean a few times.  A friend who recently started sailing with me was amazed at how well the C34 handled, and he'd been renting bareboats for daysails for years.

You may also want to do some more research on this message board, and look back into some of the earlier questions from prospective owners, and new owners who have shared their stories.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

We had the same 34/36 questions.  Decision was finally made when stumbled across a boat show that had them side by side.  The 36 is bigger, but not enough to justify the bigger cost.  We sail the Chesapeake in our wing keel.  Have been aground 3 times in places where the chart said the water was supposed to be deep.  Fortunately we were under power each the time and simply backed off(knocking on all the wood I can find.)  We love our 34, took 2 years to find it, haven't regretted it a minute. :D
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

rappareems

I bought my 34 last season on Lake Ontario.  My third boat, Bristo 26, Irwin 30.  Love the boat. Sails like a dream, nice and stiff, fast and comfortable.  Would recommend to anyone.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Charlie P.

We came from a Pearson 27 and had a tough time settling on the "next" boat.  Until I got aboard a C34 at a boat show.  I had gone to check out the C36 but found I like the C34 better.  This is our third season and I still like the C34 better (our slip mates have a C36 and I have sailed for many days with them aboard their boat - of course they like their C36 better - go figure).  I have a tall rig with wing keel and have only slight trouble catching standard rig wing C36's (only 5" difference in waterline, 1 sq ft of sail area diff.).  Much of the equipment is identical to what I had on the Pearson and the boat sails wonderfully (less tender than the Pearson).  It does pretty well in light air but definately likes wind over ten knots.  She points appreciably better then.  I can usually count on moving at half of the speed of the apparent wind up to hull speed (about 7 knots).  First reef at about 18 knots of wind.  She rewards tweaking of the traveller when working to windward.

As far as I can tell there are no weak spots or known flaws in the design or systems with the possible exception of the bedding on the shrouds.  I have recaulked each of mine once (a very minor job).  Access to the impeller on the M35B with Sherwood pump is universally hated, too.  We went with a local canvas shop for a beefier bimini and dodger than Catalina offered.  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-c34-owners-review.html has some good insights on why you need a C34 (dosn't everyone?).

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-fin.html is a discussion of the fin vs. wing dilema (no right answer).  I have grounded but never stuck our wing.  I am beginning to believe it has a sled effect and rises up instead of digging in when meeting mud.  I get over places without incident that fin keels in our marina ground out on frequently; including the main enterance and the slips themselves (the proprietor is cheap about dredging).

No regrets.

Brad "Captivated" # 1285

Purchase a Catalina 34 only if you want a great value for your money.
Purchase a Catalina 34 only if you want a great website with lots of information and support.
Purchase a Catalina 34 only if you want a comfortable boat that will get you there.
I have a friend who has an Ericson 29 and I have sailed on it across Lake Michigan a number of times. They are a nice sailing boat.
I believe the Catalina 34 sails just as well and gives you more room. The boat will handle rougher weather without taking it out on you.  
As far as a wing keel is concerned, just reverse
out the same way you came in. Or better yet keep an eye on your charts and your depth sounder.
I used to own a Pearson 28, but finding that I needed more room for the kids and their friends, we bought our Catalina 34 three summers ago and I keep finding that I am pleasantly surprised the longer I own the boat. I should have bought a Catalina years ago. Our dockmates have a 36 but I am partial to the 34 as the layour works better for us. Either way you will get a good boat. Enjoy!

Tom Glennon

Dear Larry:

Without a doubt, you will be making the right move by going to the 34 over the 36.

We recently purchased a 1987 34 fin keel..... and we are absolutely delighted with not only the accomodations it offers, but the superb seakindliness. (?)  

We sail on Buzzards Bay..... and it is particularly challenging in the upper "funnel" as it nears the Cape Cod Canal..... the 34 handles it in a most excellent manner.....

She points well..... takes the seas well.... has much nicer layout below....

Having sailed the catalina 30 for 15 years, I can attest that the 34 is the right choice!!

Happy sailing!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

Larry

Just for interest's sake:  did you post the same question on the C36 site?  Any interesting responses?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."